main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Sinking Sync Speed

4: Newbie

I think this may have been covered already, but I can't find it. Last month we had an engineer visit because of the sync speed, we signed up to Unlimited Fibre 76, but had slower and slower speed. An engineer visit was arranged as we were told there was a fault in a copper joint nearby. Engineer said no fault was apparent but would reset the DLM (is it?) and suggested it might be some of our equipment slowing things down. We have four power line adapters and a now unused wifi booster. My question is if I disconnect the PLA's would the sync speed improve?

View more options
30 REPLIES 30
14: Advanced member

i know the vodafone router does not like power line adapters and can cause the router to re-sync , but saying that your issue could just be the router itself . read the thread of mine

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/60-000-fec-corrections-every-3-seconds-and-really-slo...

View more options

Thanks Gipjon, 

thanks for your reply, I had wondered about a different router, because the wifi seems to be rubbish with the Vodafone one, hence the power line adapters.  I have a technicolour one from SSE that was our ISP before Vodafone. I hope they are easy to swap. Shall I give it a go. Eek.

View more options
Highlighted
6: Helper

You will need your username and password first before. you can try a changing the router.

A call to Vodafone support and they should supplied that information to you.

Others have changed to a tp-link 9970 and noticed a great improvement over the standard vodafone router.

Good luck

View more options

Thanks Shooto,

I have the login details for the router. I'll take a look at the tp link one, thanks. I hope it comes with instructions.

View more options

which version of the sse router was you using , the reason i ask is because i had to flash my techocolour tg589vac  inorder to access the menu to stop the router connecting to sse and changing my vodafone password back to the sse one

the techocolour wifi is 200% better than the vodafone router wifi 

View more options

That's a good point Gipjon, It's probably better I start afresh with a new one. I'm off to Google easy to set up routers. Thanks everso for your help.

View more options

follow this to setup a third party router 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Setting-up-a-third-party-router-with-vdsl-vo...

and if you decide to use the old sse router which i will say works very well on vodafone , 39 days sync uptime so far on mine since i plugged it in ( vodafone router dropped every day and killed my sink speed) 

also i live in a three story house and the wifi works well in every room 

link below is to flash your old sse router Technicolor TG589vac (v1)  to unlock the menu so you can turn off the cwmp which is just a tick box take a few minutes to flash and put your vodafone setting in 

http://www.nickdj.co.uk/internet-routers/router-guides/technicolor/technicolor-tg589vac/technicolor-...

View more options

Step 1. Cancel contract if you can

Step 2.  Put your old router into bridge mode with VF router. VF router is plagued with all sort of problems.

Switch WiFi offVFrouter all together.

Step 3. Check speed at 5am.

If speed is about right, then go to Step 1 or welcome to the club

If Synchronisation (don't mix with download speed) has CRC and other faults, log tickets with VF

VF technical support is one of the best. Better than BT and EE in my experience.

However slow download speeds often have we stich you up and locked in contact background

View more options
12: Established

Before diagnosing sync issues, you need to ditch the powerline kit and ensure the router is plugged into the master socket, ideally with all extension wiring disabled.

Powerline kit can affect some routers / wifi if placed too close by.  Drop back to basics / total minimum of equipment and only make a change every few days (one change at a time) and see if you can then pinpoint the cause of the issue.

Start by worrying about sync speed, rather than throughput first (as VF have issues on that front anyway), so log into the router and check the speeds / disconnects from there.

View more options

Morning mbames, unfortunately our CCTV is connected via powerline adapters and it was only when we switched to VF that the problems began with ever weaker wifi signals. I'll give it a go though. How quickly will I see an improvement and when I plug back in won't the problem come back?

View more options

Also, forgot to say the router is in the master socket.

View more options

Ooh, and when we were with BT (a while back) we had BTTV which was connected by powerline adapters, with no problems. I think I'll go a-googling for a new router anyway.

View more options

Our sync speed on 9th Jan after engineer visit was 74.5 and is now 45.6, since 19th Feb.

View more options

thats is very good advise by mbarne but the low sync speed is good news it means you can report the fault to vodafone as your speed is going to be below the minimum guaranteed speed 

vodafone will send out another openreach engineer who will reset your line again , and if you are going to swap your router this is the time to do it 

View more options

Hi gipjon, I know it's good advice. I was going to try it, the engineer suggested something similar, but won't the problem come back when I switch on the CCTV again? Would the DLM have to be reset after unplugging everything or will things improve anyway? Phew... so many questions. My, the complexities of the modern world. I'm getting back on to Vodafone.

View more options

DLM is fully automated. Here is no such thing as reset. You can train and test line from VF router. VDSL structure is looked after by Openreach

WiFi, BT TV  and Download speed have little to do with DLM and Sync.

VF is problem. Single Thread Throughput for IP TV, BT TV and CCTV is super slow. New router wouldn't resolve this.

View more options

If this was me , 

I would flash the technicolor tg589vac v1 router and plug that in with the correct vodafone setting and username and password etc , and if your sync goes back up straight away , your sorted , 

i am running technicolor tg589vac myself on vodafone ,with 23 devices connected to it. The wifi travels about twice the distance as the vodafone router , no issues at all with sync or wifi 

plan b go to argos etc and buy a router and do the above then .

The next part would be , if the speed does not go back up in a week because you have been profiles to slow, Then i would plug the vodafone router back in and report the fault as your internet is below the minimum guaranteed speed. Get a bt engineer out to look at the fault and then when the bt engineer resets your line ,then plug the third party router back in , and you should be good after that , 

View more options

I'm not sure i'm savvy enough to do the first bit, but I'll do the argos bit, shopping I can do (tee hee). I'll let you know what happens. TTFN

View more options
12: Established

If you have a long 10m (or so) patch cable, you could try re-locating the powerline closest to the router to a socket further away to try and rule out electrical interference.  This might not have to be a permament solution, but worth testing - different routers can easily vary by how they are react when placed near to powerline units.

If you can get a clean line, and minimal electrical interference you should see your line speed return after a few days (it may increase gradually).  Do avoid turning off your router to often as then can cause the monitoring to react - believing there is a fault on the line.

View more options