Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow 5G Gigacube Upload Speed Putney

Okina
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I signed up for the Gigacube last month for use in my home in central Putney, London.  

Since setting the Gigacube up we've averaged about 5mbps upload speeds, with the occasional 20mbps (we've never seen more than 25).  The download speeds are reasonable (still only 100-200mbps).

Interestingly the Vodafone shop across the road said they are aware of an 'issue', but this is all they had to say.  Can someone please shed some light on this.  My work is remote and this is becoming a big issue.

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be digging out the literature that you used to make your decision to get the Gigacube and see what it mentions about upload speeds.  By the nature of the mobile network (and the antennas used for distribution), there is going to be a difference between download and upload speeds.  That slower upload speed and the associated latency is the main reason that devices such as the Gigacube rate very poorly for online gaming.

So, dig out the literature, see what it promises, and if necessary how it was sold to you!  If it's been mis-sold and is not suitable for purpose, then it's unlikely that there is any solution other than go through the correct method to hand back the equipment due to breach of contract (you MUST follow the correct procedure).

Bravo
4: Newbie

Our Gigacube over the last 15 months or so has always been very “asymmetric” shall we say, with upload speed barely averaging 10% of download. This contrasts with 4G performance, albeit with 1/4 of headline speed of 5G but upload and download being otherwise  pretty closely matched.

Today I got my hands on a 5G iPhone 12 and guess what....downloads @ 280+ Mbps with uploads somewhere between 4 and 24 Mbps!! Ping times are otherwise a healthy sub 18ms - good going on a radio based connection.

iPhone 12 on Voda 5G.....for context!

723AC235-332A-4893-B9CD-52F63EC26D58.png

iPhone connected via WiFI to Gigacube on 5G...

610C1260-2D53-4FD0-BA71-93DF903F9B46.png