Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow Broadband in the evenings

Daint
2: Seeker

Hello,

I’ve been finding I’m getting quite slow broadband speeds in the evening more recently, I’ve tried the usual but haven’t yet called Vodafone support as I’m using my own router - and I’m anticipating the need to revert back to my Vodafone router to get any meaningful analysis.

However I’ve been reading through the forums about how the symptom of slow broadband just in the evenings is often an over subscription issue (I appreciate it’s impossible to say 100% until tests are performed).  The blame seems often to be put towards BT Openreach, however often the forum posts speak of fewer problems on providers such as BT.

I had assumed that this over subscription was in relation to the local exchange and so wondered how changing Broadband providers would help the situation.  My initial opinion was that the cheaper price of Vodafone Broadband is attracting many customers and so it’s becoming a little saturated but wondered if that’s even possible - or if it’s more a case of just a saturated exchange.  But would be good if someone could help explain.

To add a little more context, I live on a relatively new estate (3 years old) with new houses being built nearby, so could appreciate the local exchange gradually having an increased number of total subscribers regardless of their ISP.  Oh and I work in IT, so do to keep an eye on my network performance / troublesome devices / WiFi connections.

Thanks

Rob

18 REPLIES 18

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Mark wrote:
I can see you've advised the affected devices are affected by an Ethernet cable @slamprell & @Lonz, as a quick check that these issues aren't being caused by a detreated cable, please try connecting with a new Ethernet.

Hmm, an Ethernet cable that only degrades in the evening. That would be new.

Yes Jayach did you not know its a well known phenomenon that ethernet cables shrink at night so not as much data can flow through them. They are perfectly OK in the daytime.  Complete joke. No mention that evenings are peak times for people to be watching on demand TV and surfing the Internet and no aknowledgement that Vodafone may not have sufficient bandwidth at the exchange to cope with the peak demands and oversubscription of their service. The law needs to be changed so Internet providers have to Declare their average speeds over a 24 hour period. There is no point paying for a high speed connection if you can only achieve that speed for a few hours between the hours of 4 - 5 am. I have had talktalk, and sky as providers all at the same address and I have never experienced such hugh differences in speeds throughout the day. Back down to 6 Mbs tonight. Was getting over 60 Mps earlier in the day. I used to get faster speeds on a standard ADSL broadband connection 10 years ago.

Adrianosaunder
1: Seeker

yes facing the same issue too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as an add on to what's already been posted, there are various sites that allow you to see which ISPs have their equipment installed in the local exchange.

So you can do this using https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search though other sites are available!

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

It's disappointing to hear you're having the same speed issues @Adrianosaunder - I've also popped you a private message over, so you can contact us directly too. 

As I'm probably more in favour of just moving to another ISP when my contract is up rather than the hassle of ISP router and the internal DNS changes that I'll have to make - I wondered @Adrianosaunder what had come of your issue?

wolves2005

You might be a better judge of these are my evening speeds...

My Broadband Speed Test - Avg Down: 0.9 Mbps, Avg Up: 0.4 Mbps (via @thinkbroadband) http://tbb.st/1557007322604039255

I am still trying to get my head around the speed guarantee scheme?? I am on Superfast Broadband 2 package!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wolves2005 not only are those speeds appalling but ideally, the graph should be relatively smooth.  It kinda suggests there is either a line fault, a major source of radio interference, or that you have a faulty router.  If you've not posted this already, it'd be interesting to see your sync speed too (from the router web admin pages).

Speed test results 06.05.19.png  @KeithAlger - Thanks Keith. You are right about the appalling speeds. These are results for test run done just now. I received a call today from the Vodafone Customer Care team in response to my written complaint. The person agreed that the speeds were quite low and have assured that the technical team is going to look into resolving the issue as early as possible. Fingers Crossed!