Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow Vodafone Broadband Speeds? Try This

troubleahead
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Guys

I have just had Vodafone broadband installed, it was appalling whilst using most devices.  

I checked the physical and transport layers and below, all looked fine and it was syncing at 40mb down, latency was <15ms etc, it was mainly applications running really slowly.  I changed the router DNS settings to Google DNS instead of Voda DNS, boom, now I’m getting 30mb+!!!  Login to your router > Internet > DNS & DDNS > Manually > 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

My company laptop uses Cisco AnyConnect SSL VPN and there I noticed the best gains, from 0.17mb to 32mb download after I changed DNS servers.

Hope someone in the Infrastructure team gets this note and fixes this DNS issue.

Sam

10 REPLIES 10

@donelson52 wrote:

Our speeds are as promised BUT THERE IS HUGE LAG after each web request. I set a URL into my browser and get a bit of feedback (DNS resolved?) then there can be a 5-10 second lag before the web page starts to load. This has been getting worse and worse over the last year, especially in the evenings.

I suspect there are too many subscribers on our node of the network, with great profit for Vodafone, of course.

I switched to VF from BT (was with them for 5 years and happy with service but changed due lower cost of VF) a few weeks ago and was experiencing exactly the same lag issue as above.

If you don't need parental controls, change to Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4

I need the parental controls/filtering so am using a free account with OpenDNS:  208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

The performance is normal with either Google or OpenDNS and there is no lag.