Welcome to Vodafone Community
I have followed all the advice and used help chat to change channels but I still cannot get a decent download speed to my laptop (Less that 2 yrs old running Windows10). Today at 13:17 I switched off all other devices, connected my laptop via ethernet cable and ran the recommended broadband speed checker from speedtest.net.
At the time the sync speed was showing 65Mbps on the app on my android phone.
Speedtest report on laptop was Ping .157 Download 13.55 Mbps Upload 18.74 Mbps
If Upload is greater than download the internet says that the problem is bandwidth congestion? But I have never had a download speed of better than 22Mbps at any time of day. This is for a services advertised at 75Mbps!! What is wrong?
Welcome to the club. I have exactly the same issue... for the past three months, plus daily dropping connections.
My Vodafone Router app says I am getting 78.7 Mbps. But when I do a WiFi speed test I get 9.66 download / 10.7 upload / ping 8ms. I am literally 10 meters away from the router with no wall barriers in between. With this distance, my router (Huawei HHG 2500) is unable to keep a stable 5Ghz connection with my laptop.
When doing videocalls (Facetime), my phone keeps switching to 4G because the router cannot keep the connection with the phone. Ridiculous!
I understand that the speed on WiFi drops slightly compared to Ethernet, but there is something strange going on and for sure these routers that Vodafone supply are absolute rubbish.
I think he did but I am not sure. I am getting good sync speed and he seemed to pause confirm this. Then all we did was channels.
I do not think changing channels will help as I am getting the same problems when connected direct to the router with the ethernet cable. Sync speed is a constant 67 Mbps. Upload speed is nearly always 18 Mbps. However download speed varies enormously and is rarely what I would expect.
Three test using speedtest.net at midnight gave speeds of 4, 5 & 7 Mbps. Two used wifi one on ehternet.
At 7:30pm speeds were 7, 2 and 1.7 and the last one was ethernet.
I have seen a maximum speed of 30 Mbps but only on consecutive days at 10:30pm never at any other time of day. Out of 20 tests the median (middle) value is 9 Mbps. For a service advertised at 75Mbps that is not good enough.
I would agree that your issue is probably a capacity issue at the cabinet and suggest that you insist your line is changed to a less congested circuit.
I am in a similar situation having just moved to VF from BT.
When we took out superfast broadband with BT a year ago we had the same slow speed issue and the BT call centre help was diabolical. They promised everything and delivered nothing. I discovered the BT Community Forum and the guys there were immense. The issue was diagnosed and resolved in days.
The issue was capacity at the cabinet and they allowed me access to BT diagnostics which proved it. They moved my line to a new circuit and we had a year of rock solid 50Mb 24/7.
Now, moving to VF, it’s the same issues all over again. Their call centre was almost as useless as BTs but they have to go through a checklist which eventually allows them to escalate things to their Tech team. I am currently awaiting their involvement but will be insisting my line is changed to a clearer circuit.
If you use this site .....
.... it will give you great detail including the cabinet number your line is connected to.
You can also use the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Tester ....
.... not sure if the additional diagnostics works if you're not a BT customer. It'll still give you a good idea of the cabinet to property speed.
The more info you have, the more you can fight your corner.
Thanks for the advice. I am at my 14 day cooling off period tomorrow so I'll see if I can talk to their tech team and ask to be moved to a less congested circuit. I'm not hitting a low of 9 Mb/s download when my sync rate is 80Mb/s and during non-peak I hit 74 Mb/s easy.
I do think vodafone oversold their contracts and do not have the capacity to cope, hence the dire drop at peak.
Thanks sbrodie for the confirmation that it looks like congestion problems. The BT link shows speed should be 60Mbps. Vodafone have agreed to "escalate" the problem, presumably referring to Openreach. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for the advice. I am in the same a boat am in the 14 day cooling off period I have a sync rate of 47mbps which I expected as I am a distance from cabinet during non-peak I hit 43 Mbps easy. Which am happy from about 18:00 hrs it slowly drops by about 20:00 hrs it is in the 2Mbps mark or less the lowest has been 0.8Mbps. is it worth talking to their tech team and ask to be moved to a less congested circuit. I have spoken to online support and been through all suggested steps but I'm not prepared to wait a week for the line to settle as it brings me too far into my 14-day cooling off period. I am also on superfast 2 but I found it strange when I got my paperwork through the guaranteed sync rate says 44Mbps not 55Mbps
I also do think vodafone oversold their contracts and do not have the capacity to cope, hence the dire drop at peak.
My 14th day in the cooling off period is tomorrow (Friday) and I eventually got a call from someone in the 2nd tier support saying they found the reason my line speed is slow - “a capacity issue at the cabinet” ... and the solution - “move me to a less congested circuit”. 🙄
I ended up tweeting them continuously until I got a response.
Apparently the issue now needs to be escalated to 3rd tier support who will tell me how long the solution will take to implement.
When I mentioned that I was a couple of days from the end of my 14 day cooling off period, the 2nd tier person (her name is Aya) said I could leave if I wanted to - which isn’t particularly helpful. So, at the moment, I’m waiting for her to call again today to tell me how long the move to a new circuit will take. If it takes more than 24 hours, I have to decide whether to stay and hope it works, or leave.
The whole “10 day line stabilising” is a nonsense and it ends up leaving only 4 days to report, test, diagnose and escalate. This isn’t just a VF issue but it isn’t taken in to account under the 14 day cooling off period. Ideally, I want Vodafone to tell me I can wait for the circuit change (however long that will take) and then, if it doesn’t work, to let me leave without penalties.
Good luck in getting your lines up and running!
Thanks sbrodie am going to send a message on Facebook messenger to see if I can hurry this up. And get to the to 3rd tier before the 14 days or I'll be definitely cancelling unless they give me me a cast iron guarantee I can cancel afterwards with no fee.
I don't want to sound cynical but there's fat chance you'll get any resolution in that time. I asked a simple question on Twitter yesterday, they asked me to PM them which I did and they have yet to respond. I suspect they've been flooded with queries and complaints...
I think your cynicism is more than justified - more like realism.
I tweeted them yesterday at around 11.00am and they asked me to DM them, which I did. After a few back and forth messages, communication stopped for about 5 hours despite me re-sending my original DM numerous times.
I bombarded them with screenshots of line speed readings and sent one final tweet about 4.30pm and said I would take the opt out and leave VF if I didn’t get things fixed. Literally within 60 seconds, I got a text saying someone would be calling to try and fix things. Today, I await the lovely Aya’s call to tell me how and when their 3rd tier techs will resolve things.
I doubt I’ll hear anything today as they now have a level of “blame” to buy some time - (2nd tier can blame 3rd tier for any delay) .... or is that overly cynical??! 😏
here is my my figures from Netflix last night how do you think my ultra HD movie looked
From my experience with BT, I honestly think that, now VF have recognised the issue and identified a solution, if they can move me to a clearer circuit, the problem will be solved - it’s just how long until it’s sorted. I’m expecting weeks to be honest - that’s how long BT took as they had to upgrade something in the cabinet. My speeds are workable for that amount of time and I would be expecting the 15% off my bill until it’s fixed.
I looked at going to Sky or back to BT but they are double the price and I’m willing to bet the first 10 days with them as new providers will look exactly the same as our experience with VF. I suppose it’s all down to what you’re willing to put up with.
I am willing to believe the problem is with the local circuit and that is down to Openreach not Vodafone. It will not change the immediate problem to switch suppliers as it will be the same connection to the local box. It all depends on how good Vodafone are at dealing with the techies who can improve the position and that will take time. But we can keep on top of them and I agree we should be getting a 15% discount.
here is my last response from jason saying they can't test or alter line for the first 10 days
"In that case again I know It's difficult to hear and I do want to help, that's of course what we're here for but It's only been two days since your line was switched over, a lot may/will change in regards to your connection and speed over the next eight days, we wouldn't state ❗ " When your broadband services have activated, we'll optimise your connection to ensure you get the best possible speed. However, doing this can cause short drops in service or unexpectedly slow speeds for the first 10 days" ❗ in the Terms and Conditions as a heads up if we were able to make any adjustments or perform line testing to distinguish the issue. I know it may not be the response you were hoping for Paul, but I've advised the correct Vodafone and Openreach process. Jason"
is this true
Whilst the alternatives are pricier, it is not quite double but up to 50%. Still a significant difference in the long term but so far my experience with VF customer service has been quite poor and I can see why OFCOM's listed them the most complained about ISP. I have little faith that they will fix the congestion issue in a timely manner so that's why I am not risking exceeding the 14 day cooling period. I wish you guys the best of luck!