Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow download speed on Superfast 2

TONYBUT
2: Seeker

I have followed all the advice and used help chat to change channels but I still cannot get a decent download speed to my laptop (Less that 2 yrs old running Windows10). Today at 13:17 I switched off all other devices, connected my laptop via ethernet cable and ran the recommended broadband speed checker from speedtest.net.

At the time the sync speed was showing 65Mbps on the app on my android phone.

Speedtest report on laptop was Ping .157 Download 13.55 Mbps Upload 18.74 Mbps

If Upload is greater than download the internet says that the problem is bandwidth congestion? But I have never had a download speed of better than 22Mbps at any time of day.  This is for a services advertised at 75Mbps!!  What is wrong?

86 REPLIES 86

Fernando_A

Welcome to the club. I have exactly the same issue... for the past three months, plus daily dropping connections. 

My Vodafone Router app says I am getting 78.7 Mbps. But when I do a WiFi speed test I get 9.66 download / 10.7 upload / ping 8ms. I am literally 10 meters away from the router with no wall barriers in between. With this distance, my router (Huawei HHG 2500) is unable to keep a stable 5Ghz connection with my laptop. 

When doing videocalls (Facetime), my phone keeps switching to 4G because the router cannot keep the connection with the phone. Ridiculous!

I understand that the speed on WiFi drops slightly compared to Ethernet, but there is something strange going on and for sure these routers that Vodafone supply are absolute rubbish. 

In Christchurch I get 10mb download and 0.4mb upload while paying for 65mb, asked for help and vodafone said tough luck blame Openreach. You don't get what you pay for with vodafone. Seems to be a common scam with providers, promise the earth and rarely deliver. Anything that has to use the Openreach network is unreliable in many areas of the UK. Old fashioned copper wiring.

Unfortunately, BT Openreach own most of the country’s telecoms infrastructure  but it shouldn’t be an excuse for poor bandwidth. Vodafone are customers of BT Openreach/Wholesale and will have (or should have) an escalation process for taking complaints further if their customers (us) can’t get a satisfactory service because of Openreach failings. Who knows what kind of Service Level Agreement they have but if Openreach are required to pay for things like upgrading of cabinets etc. to effect the changes needed, they may drag their feet. If Vodafone are required to pay for cabinet upgrades because their customer base outstrips bandwidth demand, which is more likely, they WILL drag their feet AND have the handy benefit of blaming Openreach.

Either way, customers will suffer. 😒🙄

I’ve written to Ofcom to ask how to formally take my complaint beyond the inadequacies of the Vodafone Customer Support and Customer Relations.

I was given this link         https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL         to check what speed the Openreach box can provide in your area, In My area of Christchurch it is 21.5mb/0.5mb. So what ever provider I turn to it will be rubbish. I think Virgin are the only ones I know that don't use Openreach and get real fibre broadband on their own network.

Meant to have heard from Tech2 today - no phone call.

Customer Relations - who claimed they were taking over handling the complaint - have apparently disappeared off the scene and in to the ether.

I am getting to the end of my (extra long) tether so have contacted Ofcom (https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring) and will be contacting Ombudsman Services if necessary. Ofcom can’t fix issues but will monitor issues.

Interestingly, under the Ofcom Codes of Practice, it lists all of the companies who have signed up to them on a voluntary basis. Vodafone is NOT on the list.

Having given Vodafone more than enough chances to fix my issue and lodged a formal complaint,  I will now contact the ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution).  Vodafone is part of the CISAS scheme (https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/) for anyone else who wants to get in touch.

Update

I’m being updated every few days by 2nd line support - the lovely Aya. She has told me that 3rd line support have done all they’re going to do and want to close the case. She wants me to monitor line speeds and provide her (yet again) with screenshots from speedtest.net as well as a screenshot of my router proving wireless is off.

Very interestingly, during our conversations, she has mentioned more than once that my minimum line speed should be 42Mb but that they will consider 80% of that speed as acceptable enough to close the case. That means having to accept speeds as low as 33Mb.

When I was with BT I had a rock solid 50Mb. When I use the Vodafone available line speed checker it says I can get up to 69Mb ...... so why am I expected to accept more than a 25% drop in line speed and, more importantly, why won’t Vodafone allow me to have it??!

Hi all

My phone call back from the "highest tech" never happened so I've given up on that been nearly 4 weeks now. My conversations on messenger to vf to be honestI is a bit of a joke doing security every 24-hours the average response time from a message from vf is 3 days i patiently done what's asked uploaded all the photos that's been asked for but at least with messenger I have a log of all communication I've had it's looking like the only way to get this solved is going down the complaints procedure and ofcom like you sbrodie 

I am now in to my third month with Vodafone and download speeds, although below those I received from BT previously, seem to have stabilised around 42Mb - the minimum that Vodafone will give (says it all really).

Vodafone’s Tech2 contacted me last Friday to say my case would be closed if I didn’t contact them within 72 hours. Due to family and work circumstances, it simply wasn’t possible to do this over last weekend and last Monday - so Vodafone have effectively said their poor service is now not an issue. In saying that, Customer Relations are apparently still on the case and have said they will be in touch next week.

As a final note, my Internet connection dropped completely this week. I contacted Vodafone through their online chat to find out when the issue would be fixed. I was made to go through a router reset, taking the faceplate off the BT Openreach box and re-plugging in to the test socket, submitting photos of the box - all this even though the Vodafone Network Status Checker said the issue was with their network. I demanded a fix within 24 hours or I was leaving. 
For the first time, they did something which at least showed some recognition of their months of nonsense - they waived my first two months broadband fees (although I had to push them hard). They said my experience since joining wasn’t what they wanted to offer customers.

My Internet connection was restored by the morning after and that is the first promise made that Vodafone have actually delivered on.

If anyone else reads my posts here, my experiences are replicated hundreds of times over with other Vodafone customers. It is a regret I ever joined and was it not for excessive cancellation fees, I’d definitely have left before now. My genuine advice is stay clear of Vodafone. When my contract is up, I shall not be back. The months of hassle have been unnecessary and are a measure of poor service and customer support systems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @TONYBUT Are you noticing these slower speeds at specific times of day, or throughout the day? When you spoke to us last, did the agents run any line tests with you?