Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow download speed on Superfast 2

TONYBUT
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have followed all the advice and used help chat to change channels but I still cannot get a decent download speed to my laptop (Less that 2 yrs old running Windows10). Today at 13:17 I switched off all other devices, connected my laptop via ethernet cable and ran the recommended broadband speed checker from speedtest.net.

At the time the sync speed was showing 65Mbps on the app on my android phone.

Speedtest report on laptop was Ping .157 Download 13.55 Mbps Upload 18.74 Mbps

If Upload is greater than download the internet says that the problem is bandwidth congestion? But I have never had a download speed of better than 22Mbps at any time of day.  This is for a services advertised at 75Mbps!!  What is wrong?

86 REPLIES 86

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

@sbrodie Without having your line in the test socket whilst we run tests, I wouldn't be able to definitively answer any of your questions regarding your specific sync speed. As VPNs are third parties, I wouldn't be able to answer why there is a difference in your speeds when using a VPN.

If you're experiencing a slower sync speed that what was agreed at point of sale, you can claim a 15% discount on your line through the Vodafone Broadband app. If you'd like an update on your case with Customer Relations, please contact our customer service team.

Of course VPN are third party. Why wouldn’t they be?

The point made isn’t about a specific VPN product. It’s all of them ... and a good reason why Vodafone’s routing protocols are suspiciously dubious. All of the VPNs noted in other threads result in improved speeds.

... and yet again you fail to fully understand my issue. You have NO idea how frustrating it is to have to constantly revisit the problem. 🙄

Please, take some time to read about why someone posts a problem.
Sync speed is not the issue. It is DOWNLOAD speed caused by a capacity issue at the cabinet and a heavily congested circuit - both of which were diagnosed by 2nd line tech, not me.

3rd tech claim to have fixed it but download speeds still fall in the evening.

Upload speeds are completely constant throughout.

So now it looks like Tech3 don’t believe me so I have had to take screenshots of Speedtest results (yet again!).
First, I had to remove the faceplate of the ‘box’ where the phone line enters the property, (déja vu???) plug my router in to the test socket, remove all devices from the router and switch off the wireless connection. (Yup! definitely been here, done that, got the t-shirt!).
I had to record readings morning, afternoon and evening and create screenshots (including router summary page to show no devices attached, to prove I’m not fibbing).

I then had to e-mail results to Tech2.

Ive had a follow-up call agreeing that my test results are not acceptable and that now, they have been forwarded on to Tech3.
I will hear next week (week SIX!) what’s to be done.

You're lucky I'm still waiting for tech to get back to me been two weeks now. When I ring up to see what's happening they say they are still investigating it  

I don’t know if it’ll help, but I put in a formal complaint and Customer Relations got themselves involved.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints

i'm having the same issue. Spent 30 hours total on the phone to VF in addition to countless chats, tech2 won't escalate to tech3. An openreach engineer confirmed the internet speed doesn't work. At this point can't do my job.

sbrodie
4: Newbie

I would agree that your issue is probably a capacity issue at the cabinet and suggest that you insist your line is changed to a less congested circuit.

I am in a similar situation having just moved to VF from BT. 
When we took out superfast broadband with BT a year ago we had the same slow speed issue and the BT call centre help was diabolical. They promised everything and delivered nothing.  I discovered the BT Community Forum and the guys there were immense. The issue was diagnosed and resolved in days.

The issue was capacity at the cabinet and they allowed me access to BT diagnostics which proved it. They moved my line to a new circuit and we had a year of rock solid 50Mb 24/7.

Now, moving to VF, it’s the same issues all over again. Their call centre was almost as useless as BTs but they have to go through a checklist which eventually allows them to escalate things to their Tech team. I am currently awaiting their involvement but will be insisting my line is changed to a clearer circuit.

If you use this site .....

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com
.... it will give you great detail including the cabinet number your line is connected to.

You can also use the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Tester ....

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

.... not sure if the additional diagnostics works if you're not a BT customer. It'll still give you a good idea of the cabinet to property speed.

The more info you have, the more you can fight your corner.

Thanks for the advice. I am at my 14 day cooling off period tomorrow so I'll see if I can talk to their tech team and ask to be moved to a less congested circuit. I'm not hitting a low of 9 Mb/s download when my sync rate is 80Mb/s and during non-peak I hit 74 Mb/s easy. 
I do think vodafone oversold their contracts and do not have the capacity to cope, hence the dire drop at peak. 

Thanks for the advice. I am in the same a boat am in the 14 day cooling off period I have a sync rate of 47mbps which I expected as I am a distance from cabinet during non-peak I hit 43 Mbps easy. Which am happy from about 18:00 hrs it slowly drops by about 20:00 hrs it is in the 2Mbps mark or less the lowest has been 0.8Mbps. is it worth talking to their tech team and ask to be moved to a less congested circuit. I have spoken to online support and been through all suggested steps but I'm not prepared to wait a week for the line to settle as it brings me too far into my 14-day cooling off period. I am also on superfast 2 but I found it strange when I got my paperwork through the guaranteed sync rate says 44Mbps not 55Mbps
I also do think vodafone oversold their contracts and do not have the capacity to cope, hence the dire drop at peak. 

My 14th day in the cooling off period is tomorrow (Friday) and I eventually got a call from someone in the 2nd tier support saying they found the reason my line speed is slow - “a capacity issue at the cabinet” ... and the solution - “move me to a less congested circuit”. 🙄
I ended up tweeting them continuously until I got a response.

Apparently the issue now needs to be escalated to 3rd tier support who will tell me how long the solution will take to implement.

When I mentioned that I was a couple of days from the end of my 14 day cooling off period, the 2nd tier person (her name is Aya) said I could leave if I wanted to - which isn’t particularly helpful. So, at the moment, I’m waiting for her to call again today to tell me how long the move to a new circuit will take. If it takes more than 24 hours, I have to decide whether to stay and hope it works, or leave. 
The whole “10 day line stabilising” is a nonsense and it ends up leaving only 4 days to report, test, diagnose and escalate. This isn’t just a VF issue but it isn’t taken in to account under the 14 day cooling off period. Ideally, I want Vodafone to tell me I can wait for the circuit change (however long that will take) and then, if it doesn’t work, to let me leave without penalties.

Good luck in getting your lines up and running!