Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow download speed on Superfast 2

TONYBUT
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have followed all the advice and used help chat to change channels but I still cannot get a decent download speed to my laptop (Less that 2 yrs old running Windows10). Today at 13:17 I switched off all other devices, connected my laptop via ethernet cable and ran the recommended broadband speed checker from speedtest.net.

At the time the sync speed was showing 65Mbps on the app on my android phone.

Speedtest report on laptop was Ping .157 Download 13.55 Mbps Upload 18.74 Mbps

If Upload is greater than download the internet says that the problem is bandwidth congestion? But I have never had a download speed of better than 22Mbps at any time of day.  This is for a services advertised at 75Mbps!!  What is wrong?

86 REPLIES 86

Thanks sbrodie am going to send a message on Facebook messenger to see if I can hurry this up. And get to the to 3rd tier before the 14 days or I'll be definitely cancelling unless they give me me a cast iron guarantee I can cancel afterwards with no fee. 

I don't want to sound cynical but there's fat chance you'll get any resolution in that time. I asked a simple question on Twitter yesterday, they asked me to PM them which I did and they have yet to respond. I suspect they've been flooded with queries and complaints...

I think your cynicism is more than justified - more like realism.
I tweeted them yesterday at around 11.00am and they asked me to DM them, which I did. After a few back and forth messages, communication stopped for about 5 hours despite me re-sending my original DM numerous times. 
I bombarded them with screenshots of line speed readings and sent one final tweet about 4.30pm and said I would take the opt out and leave VF if I didn’t get things fixed. Literally within 60 seconds, I got a text saying someone would be calling to try and fix things. Today, I await the lovely Aya’s call to tell me how and when their 3rd tier techs will resolve things.

I doubt I’ll hear anything today as they now have a level of “blame” to buy some time - (2nd tier can blame 3rd tier for any delay) .... or is that overly cynical??! 😏

I must say I don't hold up much hope. I think I will be cancelling but I feel I must give them a chance to rectify it.
the messages I'm getting back from messenger are not promising either just quoteing the 10 days settling in period but trying to explain this is not unpredicted dropouts these are predicted on peak times nothing to do with settling in

here is my my figures from Netflix last night how do you think my ultra HD movie looked

From my experience with BT, I honestly think that, now VF have recognised the issue and identified a solution, if they can move me to a clearer circuit, the problem will be solved - it’s just how long until it’s sorted. I’m expecting weeks to be honest - that’s how long BT took as they had to upgrade something in the cabinet. My speeds are workable for that amount of time and I would be expecting the 15% off my bill until it’s fixed. 
I looked at going to Sky or back to BT but they are double the price and I’m willing to bet the first 10 days with them as new providers will look exactly the same as our experience with VF. I suppose it’s all down to what you’re willing to put up with.

I am willing to believe the problem is with the local circuit and that is down to Openreach not Vodafone. It will not change the immediate problem to switch suppliers as it will be the same connection to the local box. It all depends on how good Vodafone are at dealing with the techies who can improve the position and that will take time. But we can keep on top of them and I agree we should be getting a 15% discount.

here is my last response from jason saying they can't test or alter line for the first 10 days

"In that case again I know It's difficult to hear and I do want to help, that's of course what we're here for but It's only been two days since your line was switched over, a lot may/will change in regards to your connection and speed over the next eight days, we wouldn't state " When your broadband services have activated, we'll optimise your connection to ensure you get the best possible speed. However, doing this can cause short drops in service or unexpectedly slow speeds for the first 10 days" in the Terms and Conditions as a heads up if we were able to make any adjustments or perform line testing to distinguish the issue. I know it may not be the response you were hoping for Paul, but I've advised the correct Vodafone and Openreach process. Jason"

is this true

Whilst the alternatives are pricier, it is not quite double but up to 50%. Still a significant difference in the long term but so far my experience with VF customer service has been quite poor and I can see why OFCOM's listed them the most complained about ISP. I have little faith that they will fix the congestion issue in a timely manner so that's why I am not risking exceeding the 14 day cooling period. I wish you guys the best of luck!

“I doubt I’ll hear anything today as they now have a level of “blame” to buy some time - (2nd tier can blame 3rd tier for any delay) .... or is that overly cynical??! 😏

As suspected, cynicism gives way to realism.  No phone call from the lovely Aya as was promised.

IF she calls tomorrow, (last day of cooling off period), it leaves no room to make alternative arrangements and switch to a different provider.

Well, I guess I should offer humble apologies.

The lovely Aya did phone me this evening, even though it was after 8.00pm, and she offered the good news that 3rd tier support will be moving my broadband to a different and, hopefully, much less congested circuit .... and they’re apparently doing it tonight! 🥳

The lovely Aya will phone me again tomorrow to do a line speed test together, to make sure I’m happy.

Naturally, if all the promises are delivered, I’ll be delighted.
I hope I have not jinxed anything. 🤞🏻