Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow download speed on Superfast 2

TONYBUT
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have followed all the advice and used help chat to change channels but I still cannot get a decent download speed to my laptop (Less that 2 yrs old running Windows10). Today at 13:17 I switched off all other devices, connected my laptop via ethernet cable and ran the recommended broadband speed checker from speedtest.net.

At the time the sync speed was showing 65Mbps on the app on my android phone.

Speedtest report on laptop was Ping .157 Download 13.55 Mbps Upload 18.74 Mbps

If Upload is greater than download the internet says that the problem is bandwidth congestion? But I have never had a download speed of better than 22Mbps at any time of day.  This is for a services advertised at 75Mbps!!  What is wrong?

86 REPLIES 86

I think he did but I am not sure. I am getting good sync speed and he seemed to pause confirm this. Then all we did was channels.

@TONYBUT, since changing the channels with the broadband team, how has your internet been? It might be worth checking out the following video if you need a hand changing to a new channel 👍

I do not think changing channels will help as I am getting the same problems when connected direct to the router with the ethernet cable. Sync speed is a constant 67 Mbps. Upload speed is nearly always 18  Mbps. However download speed varies enormously and is rarely what I would expect. 

Three test using speedtest.net at midnight gave speeds of 4, 5 & 7 Mbps. Two used wifi one on ehternet.

At 7:30pm speeds were 7, 2 and 1.7 and the last one was ethernet.

I have seen a maximum speed of 30 Mbps but only on consecutive days at 10:30pm never at any other time of day. Out of 20 tests the median (middle) value is 9 Mbps.  For a service advertised at 75Mbps that is not good enough.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @TONYBUT, thank you for trying those steps! Best bet now would be to contact us on social media here so that we can access your account and run some further tests on your line 😁

vodafone you know exactly what the problem is, as YOU are throttling peoples speeds at peak times. Changing channels makes no difference when you are purposely causing the problem and then blatantly lying to your customers!

i have been testing my speeds 3 times a day by connecting via a laptop directly to the router over ethernet, and have my faceplate removed and a filter in place and its now obvious that each eveining you throttle the speed back. You have had me jump through hoops now for several hours a day on the phone to you for over a week, when you have known all along the problem is not my phone line, phone socket or any other issue at my end, its YOU lying and you shouldnt be allowed to get away with it. 

Your are a disgrace, and im sure you are in breach of contract, and i will be cancelling my contract with you tomorrow as your service is not fit for purpose. 

for the one month i have been with you its been nothing short of a disaster, especially as someone who is an essential worker, working from home.

I don't think they're throttling, it is simply due to congestion. I've been keeping tabs with my VF line, using ethernet to do speed tests and you can tell that at peak times it will drop from normal (for me 74Mb/s) to 20-10Mb/s between 7pm to 10pm.

I'm now with a different provider and can hit max speed at any time. VF simply doesn't have the infrastructure to cope with the extra customers.

Can I ask what provider you are with where you get full speed all the time?

I don't want to discuss openly but it is not Openreach operated ISP. 

Don't forget that VF are simply 'renting' the broadband infrastructure which ultimately belongs to BT Openreach. 

I suspect that most problems mentioned here aren't wholly or initially down to VF. I know from my own previous experience as a BT customer,  I had the same teething troubles and poor line speed. With BT however, their Community Forum mods were able to go straight to Openreach and effect a solution in days i.e. making a physical change at the cabinet. Some cabinets need upgraded to handle the increasing number of requests for broadband and I suspect that VF will be charged by Openreach for doing this and so they (VF) do everything possible to avoid it, by getting customers to jump through hoop after hoop in the hope that they either accept or give up on a poor line speed.

The VF customer service is, quite frankly, appalling (and I honestly thought that of BT call centre staff too) and I suspect that it's their staffing levels which can't cope with demand - not that that helps any of us here.

I asked that my new VF contract be terminated on the final day of my cooling off period. VF told me they would cut me off in 24 hours.  I said I would wait until the day after. VF said they would take 31 days to cut me off but would charge me £200 for the privilege. When I said that terminating the contract immediately would leave me with no phone or Internet connection for at l;east two weeks (BTs lead time for a re-connection) all I got was, "That would be your choice".

They are a business - I get that - but the VF customer service, their policies and practice really are abysmal. I've been a VF mobile customer for well over a decade with no issues but, if I don't get my broadband line speed fixed to MY satisfaction, I won't go quietly and I certainly won't ever be back.

From monitoring my line speeds, I am hugely dubious that "uplifting" my line (if that's even a thing) is having any effect. I am keen to see the shape and size of tomorrow's next hoop!!  😒

Well this is confusing, I too was originally told that my service would be cut on next day too at end of 14 day cooling period but the email said end of this month and it would not cost me extra (they just need 30 days notice to cut off). I know that the service is still running and one of the lovely reps confirmed to me the cancellation is due for end of month too although I've since switched to a non Openreach based ISP so it is already redundant. 

I guess we will see if VF will try to charge me extra but I won't pay a penny extra (although I will have to keep paying for the mobile...)