Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow download speed on Superfast 2

TONYBUT
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have followed all the advice and used help chat to change channels but I still cannot get a decent download speed to my laptop (Less that 2 yrs old running Windows10). Today at 13:17 I switched off all other devices, connected my laptop via ethernet cable and ran the recommended broadband speed checker from speedtest.net.

At the time the sync speed was showing 65Mbps on the app on my android phone.

Speedtest report on laptop was Ping .157 Download 13.55 Mbps Upload 18.74 Mbps

If Upload is greater than download the internet says that the problem is bandwidth congestion? But I have never had a download speed of better than 22Mbps at any time of day.  This is for a services advertised at 75Mbps!!  What is wrong?

86 REPLIES 86

Been there ... done that.

All we get are suggestions to contact first line support and on Twitter you can wait three or four days before someone offers an answer and a, “sorry but we’re busy” excuse.

I need someone to take the initiative and get straight to the people who can solve the issue - not offer suggestions of putting more people in the way. The Tech2 I have spoken to has admitted herself that this is taking way more time than even she envisaged.

The BT mods were able to get to the problem and resolve it on their forum, so it begs the question ... why can’t it happen here?

@sbrodie snap am in the same boat been jumping through all the hoops as you have. Been waiting 4 days for the highest level of tech to get back to me. I to tried FB as mods always pushing there was even less helpful. The problem seems to be a throttling problem as said earlier.  If you use a VPN the speed goes up 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @sbrodie For security reasons we're unable to discuss account specific issues over public channels such the Community, so we'll need you to contact us through a private message via Facebook or Twitter and one of our team will pick this up as soon as possible. I can understand your frustration at the longer than usual wait for a reply, this is due to an increased demand on our online services through this unprecedented time. Rest assured we will reply to everyone that reaches out to us 😊

Thank you for at least getting back to me.

As I have noted in earlier posts, I have tried Twitter numerous times and have to wait at least three or four days before anyone responds. If you DM anyone, the conversation is protracted over hours and always with different people each time.

I am led to believe that my issue will be resolved by midnight tonight (Thurs 16 July). I actually did see BT Openreach engineers at a cabinet near my property but I am not getting any hopes up, based on the number of unfulfilled promises VF have made to date.

In the interim, Tech3 claim to have done something to the bandwidth but my speed tests would suggest otherwise.

I shall post the outcome of the hoped for resolution just to make sure it is recorded publicly.

Well .... for nothing other than public confirmation, the much anticipated promise from Tech2 and Tech3 that my broadband download speeds would be fixed turned out, unsurprisingly, to be utter lies.

I have watched my speed tests drop through the day (they start briefly at 55+Mb) by -20% and then drop by -50% after 7.30pm.

I have also shown in the attachments (in “View More Options”) that download speeds through a VPN are faster (Vodafone are throttling?) but upload speeds stay the same (+ or -1Mb). You can see the two speed tests with and without VPN below.

In the second attachment you can see download speeds continue to drop in the evening despite the promise that this would be sorted yesterday. Unfathomably ... upload speeds have increased.
What on earth is that all about?!! 🤨

For heaven’s sake Vodafone ... GET IT SORTED. 😡

Stubbo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @sbrodie,

I appreciate how frustrating it can be not receiving the speeds that you should be. Did you manage to get in touch with our Social Media team as advised by some of our other moderators? If you haven't done so yet, Id advise you do! They have access to some super-helpful systems that will help us get to the bottom of your issue. You can contact our social media here

Thanks .. but please, with the greatest of respect, don’t just advise contacting social media. It’s really of no help. 
If you think I’ve got this far without numerous (and by that I mean ‘dozens’ of) attempts, you’ve really not grasped the benign and wholly inept level of service that Vodafone attempt to offer. Every tweet sent, hangs in the ether for days (literally) and with absolutely no meaningful help at the end of it. I’ve had at least TEN different customer service personnel make an initial response and not one them has helped in any sense of the word.

So ..... as I have said, with respect, your “super-helpful systems” are worthless without super-helpful people responding in a customer-focused way.
Please, no more “contact our social media feeds” lip-service. I have enough experience and evidence to prove that your words are just empty rhetoric. If you want to offer some real help, take on my case and ticket and solve the issue.

So ... again, for the public record, I made a formal complaint and got a call yesterday from “public relations” saying that they will be re-opening the case which Tech3 closed after the pretence of “solving” my download speed issues.

They made a promise of an update call later today. We’ll see if they, and the Tech2 who comes back from annual leave today, actually bother to do it.

A call back, however, is no guarantee of a resolution.
My next fight will be to get out of a 24month contract, one month in, without paying a penalty.

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @sbrodie, we'd like to get this resolved with you, however, we're unable to go into account specifics via the public forum that is the Community for your security so will need to refer you to alternative channels to investigate this. I'm sorry that you've experienced a delay in regards to our Twitter team getting back to you, we're getting back to customers as soon as we possibly can. 

Vodafone don't throttle speeds across any of our services unless you're on our mobile Unlimited plans (this is specified on the website and at point of sale). With lots of us staying in the house at one time at the moment, we're noticing more people are connected to the network at one time which can create more traffic and slower speeds overall, we're working on improving the connection for everyone nationwide.

Hopefully your call with the team will resolve your issue, please let us know how you get on.

With regards to your GDPR observance, I haven’t ever asked for anyone in a public forum to go into my account specifics. That said, sending tweets via direct messaging is just a complete nonsense. EVERY communication takes more than 48 hours for someone to respond and EVERY time,  to comply with “security rules”, someone new has to ask for the same security details which were given previously and which appear two or three messages before.

It is only expected that, publicly, you insist Vodafone do not throttle speeds but threads elsewhere on the forum strongly suggest otherwise. It would be better believed if Admins or Mods could explain why data sent through VPNs suddenly jumps significantly to speeds nearer to the sync speed?

Slower speeds overall only seems to effect Vodafone broadband connections. Other providers eg BT are able to maintain speeds. Again, a public explanation would only serve to better convince customers with the opposite experience.

I have now waited two days for customer relations to return my call, since they said they would be re-opening the ticket.