Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow fibre after 6/7pm

Woodey40
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Over the last week my fibre connection has been dropping from 50mbps in the day to between 2/5mbps in the evening. This is using a a wired connection and the router is syncing at 55mbps, I cant see there would be anything wrong with my hardware as it working fine during the day, but becomes barely usable in the evening. Can anyone help or advise?

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  @Woodey40 I completely understand how frustrating it must be to have your internet speeds drop! It's not unusual to experience some drops in speed in the evening, as more people are at home, meaning there is increased traffic on the network. 

There are a few steps you can take to make sure you're getting the most out of your broadband at these times, including restricting the number of devices connected. I've popped a helpful video here which some hints and tips for optimising your broadband speeds. I'd also recommend downloading our super helpful Broadband App if you haven't already. This will help you keep track of the devices connected, and see a true representation of the speeds we're providing.

If you start experiencing speeds drops at other times, or the drops become a severe inconvenience, I'd recommend reaching out to our Social Media team here, or calling us on 0333 3040 191, and a member of the team can run some speed tests with you and diagnose any potential issues 😊

Thanks for replying but do you think its acceptable for a fibre service to drop to sometimes around 1mb, meaning barely anything works, i cant stream anytrhing on netflix and if 2 of us are trying to use the internet it just doesnt owrk. I am paying for the superfast 2 service so this really isn't acceptable. Also i have the mobile app and the latest update seems to haev broken it so i cant use it. I appreciate this is happening around peak time, but this is when I m home and when I use the internet, but at the moment I cant.

Just so you know i have tried the following:

1.Turning off Wi-Fi and disconnecting all devices, and running the speed test from my router (hard wired)

2. Checked network traffic in case something had managed to get access, nothing there

3. Changed router and microfilters

4. I Have now spoken to the support team 3 times, on the second of which they said an engineer would be in touch with me, this  was 4 days ago and i heard nothing, so i have rang back again today, and i was told I would recieve a text message with what is going on and yet again nothing, i dont know what else i can do, i am being sent round in circles, all the while I am still being charged for a service that i can only use for half the day.

Can someone help me with this other than giving me the same number  to call? I have had nothing but problems with Vodafone and may look

Its not acceptable no, and its obvious that they are heavily contended in some areas. All people can do is vote with their feet and move ISP, but also I believe you should log a fault call and keep a record with time and date evidence of the slow speeds from at least 3 different server locations on speedtest.net.  Ofcom does say that if they dont fix any issues within 30 days you can leave without penalty.  But evidence is vital.

As for saying its not unusual, maybe not for Vodafone, but my other connection with BT is solid at max speed all the time.

HI, You are not alone with this problem. I too am experiencing the same problems. I am starting to think I did the wrong thing moving to vodafone from talktalk.  I never had any problems with talktalk but the last 2 weeks have not been great with vodafone.   I wouldnt mind if the customer service was of some use but im afraid they are near to useless the majority of the time.  They all tell you different things, they think everyone is incompetent and dont realise we grew up with the Internet from the beginning and know when there is a problem.  I understand people are working from home, but that isn't a good excuse for poor customer service.   They just say please put the app on your phone.  Why,? is this going to improve my service, no im afraid not.  The new update on the app is flawed.  No channel change option.  Ive managed to downgrade to the old app.  It would be nice if they had a service status showing current problems in areas so at least we can tell if they are doing work on the broadband.  I will be leaving too if they dont improve and will raise a speed complaint the next time it happens. 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Woodey40 @itoney Hi both, if you haven't already I'd advise dropping us a message on either Twitter or Facebook through the link @Anonymous has given above. We'll then be able to securely take your details and help to see what's causing any issues with your speeds.

Please include your Community username and link to your post from here when messaging us so you won't need to write out your query again.

HI natasha, how many times do you think it is appropriate to contact customer service.   Your answer constantly seems to be contact us on our social media platforms.... are you actually aware that I have done this, I also have a second line ticket open about the router,  I also have a message chat ongoing on messenger which I get a reply every one day it seems and I guarantee twitter is exactly the same,  I've made several phone calls but nothing ever really gets done. I've done several online chats....  So I'll ask you again, for what reason is opening yet another chat going to get people somewhere.   Are you actually paid to give this information.  Surely peoples accounts can be looked at without them having to go through the same scenario every single time. Then better advice could be given rather than just telling people to keep starting new chats?   I really do rank Vodafone as the lowest level of customer service I have ever experienced. Its shocking sorry.  Vodafone know exactly what everyone's issue is, they have been through it twice now, 2018 and 2019 reports show there uk customers were suffering terrible speeds between 5 and 11.  Well read all these messages and pass them on to your leaders... its happening again to lots of people.  Its not them or there lines, if it was then they wouldn't have perfectly fast speeds at all other times.