Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow internet from 5pm-11:30/12pm

Kaimey
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

So, iv'e been with Vodafone broadband(Superfast2) for 16months and have had this issue occur for the third time and quite simply it's boring at this point.

As the title says from 5pm-11/12 ish my internet goes from a stable 61/62mbs perfect working 18/19upload to as a record new low as 1.9mbs that its hit tonight. It starts decreasing from about 5pm down to 50-40-20-10. It sits around ten till about 8pm where it decides to just die. This is an ethernet connection and I've even gone as far as unplugging all other devices and turning off Wi-Fi.

They have sent an Openreach engineer who was furious he was even sent as 3 months prior they had sent one for this same issue in which nothing on my end is at issue from my house to the cabinet. 

I live about 20metres (I can see it out of the window) away from my cabinet in which the engineer also went to check my line at.

They also sent through an "update" to my router apparently which did nothing obviously as its most probably being throttled between these times.

The customer service on the other hand is also terrible - quite simply repeating the exact same thing the last three phone engineers as they like to call themselves have said and suggested and completely ignoring the information and images/data I have supplied for them.

Any suggestions before I just move over to a different supplier? I don't really want to have to complain every 3/4 months for a couple of weeks for a working connection especially as I work from home.

20 REPLIES 20

Cynric
16: Advanced member

.@Kaimey It's a frequent topic in here. It seems that VF have sold more contracts to end users than the amount of bandwidth that they have purchased from BT OpenReach. It looks like you're being impacted at peak hours when everyone is streaming and gaming. 

You may like to try changing the DNS settings on your router to Google on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or Cloudflare on 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 to try and avoid going via VF's systems.

Jayach

I think you are correct that the only way to improve things is to move supplier.

Vodafone's back-end systems seem to be struggling under the increased load put on them.

I used to sufferer slow downs in the evening (not to the extremes you are reporting) but lately it seems better so I think they are increasing capacity.

It's strange you say you have had this 3 times as that suggest it improves before reoccurring, which is not what I would expect if it is just capacity problems.

Thanks, i'll give this a go later tonight :Laughing_Face:

@Jayach as you've said this is the third time it's happened - They only fixed it the first 2 times after excessive complaints, which spanned for a few weeks but it just gets tiring having to go over the same conversation every few months. I was with Sky prior to this and never encountered this issue for more than a year. Thanks for the reply i'll start looking around for something new!

61.6 mbs at 6:50 then 10 minutes later its down to 11mbs. I somehow doubt everyone in my street decided to log on to their pcs at 7pm exactly - Seems a bit strange 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Kaimey - I understand how important it is to have a stable connection, especially now. I appreciate that you have said you have been in touch with us before regarding this, but I'd like to run some further tests on your line to see if we can locate a fault.

Please drop us a message on social media with your full name and landline/account number. Make sure to also include a link back to your forum post so that you don't have to repeat yourself.

@Evie Well I have exactly the same happening to my connection at exactly the same times.

Your online chat "support" service is absolutely atrocious. 

I have just renewed my contract after having 2 years of hassle free fiber and my speed never dropping under 70mbps. now all of a sudden I have the same issue, 2 mbps download for the second night in a row? Support chat said my sync speed is fine therefore its my issue?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @siNN, If your sync speeds aren't affected during these times, the reduction in speeds you're experiencing maybe due to interference to your WiFi connection and out of our control. If you can pop us a message through our social channels, we'll be more than happy to take a closer look into your issue, see if this is the case and offer any help we can 😊

This is without wifi connection enabled

- It's entirely ethernet based directly to the router with wifi disabled