main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Slow speed

2: Seeker

I switched to Vodafone home and broadband from BT. I have fibre and was getting between 26 to 35mb with BT. Now getting around the 10. It has been 1month since switching so should have settled down by now. I have spoken to the help line and have followed their advice with splitting the ssid and setting the channels so not on auto.

This has made no difference to the speed. I have been checking all the tabs and found that on the NAT mapping page which shows all the items connected to my router (all is via wifi) I have a galaxy s6 showing around 400 connections and everything else are showing between 10 and 40. The S6 is connected to the wifi but is not being used.

All this is beyond my knowledge and was asking would this have anything to do with it and why would this s6 be different from our other s6 which only shows 22 connections?

View more options
6 REPLIES 6
10: Established

Hi.  You need to take a look at a couple of things.  First is the connection speed.  This can be seen via the App or by logging in to the router's web interface.  This download & upload speed should be at or close to what the availability checker provided when you signed up.  If it's not, then there could be a problem with you line/router/wiring.  This needs to be fixed and a call to Vodafone to run a line test.

If the connection speed is OK, then look at your download speed.  Try plugging a laptop into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router and run a speed test.  Post the results and see if there's a large difference between your connection speed and the download speed.

View more options

Thanks for the reply, The minimum download speed they said I would get was 35mbs and I am getting 12mbs at the moment. I have connected the laptop to the router via an ethernet cable, and the speed is still only 13mbs.

I think I will send them all the info and see what they have to say on it.

View more options
Administrator

@Lostcount Did you send across this information? Please keep us updated. :smileyhappy:

View more options

I have spoken to the help line again, and we checked the wifi speed that was 10mbs, and then connected the laptop by a cable, and the speed was still 10mbs. Checked over the settings all looked ok so did a complete reset of the router. After this the wifi speed was 20mbs and by cable was 35mbs. (That was 2 days ago) it is now 24mbs wifi and 35mbs cable.

It is a cheap laptop so I guess that will account for the difference between wifi and LAN.

I have just tested it with my samsung galaxy s6 and connected to the wifi it manages 31mbs.

View more options
Administrator

@Lostcount You're Wi-Fi signal strength can vary depending on many factors. You may wish to try changing the Wi-Fi channel of your router and seeing if this improves the speeds.

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it's made.

View more options

I had these setting done from talking to the helper on-line.

Due to our phones working at around 30 mbs on the wifi. I think it is more down to the laptop. Itis a lot better now so no longer an issue.

Thanks for the help.

View more options