main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Slow throughput speeds

Highlighted
4: Newbie

Hi,

I need some technical support with my broadband.  I'm getting my usual sync speeds of 47mb but the throughput is terrible.  Netflix, Youtube and IPTV are dreadful.  I've done some speed tests using speedtest.net and i'm getting anywhere from 6mb to about 8mb.  The upload seems normal at around 16mb. 

I spent 1hr 26min on the phone this evening with some Egyptian guy call Joe.  What a waste of time, the guy was clueless.  Asked me to plug my laptop into the BT master socket using a network cable.  Just kept asking me to change the wifi channel and the DNS setting in the router, which I told him many times is nothing to do with it. 

My normal set up is a BT openreach modem, connected to a PFSense router/firewall, this is fed into a managed switch and my wifi is unifi.  To rule anything out, I installed the vodafone router only, disabled wifi on it and had only a laptop plugged directly into it.  Doing speed tests at speedtest.net, i got the same results.  Sync speeds are normal but throughput is terrible.

I also performed a speedtest at labs.thinkbroadband.com and bt wholesale.  All gave the same results, although the thinkbroadband showed my normal peak throughput on http, but only 7.4mb on everything else.

Is this the throttleing problem i've been reading about?

Anyway in the end I was told there was no issue with my line and that I was working normal, going on my sync speed.  They apparently asked some 3rd line tech, which I don't believe.  This has only be going on for about 1 to 2 weeks, before it was fine. 

How can I get to speak to someone that understands and can do something and doesn't just fob me off?

If this is the state of the network, how can I leave without penalty?

Any advise would be great.

Regards

Rob.

View more options
10 REPLIES 10

I've just been doing some more testing and like others, I'm getting poor speed to the london vodafone server, but normal speed to the Maidenhead Iomart server. 

What can be done about this?

Regards

Rob

View more options

@robuk360 wrote:

I've just been doing some more testing and like others, I'm getting poor speed to the london vodafone server, but normal speed to the Maidenhead Iomart server. 

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

It sounds like you have exactly the same issue as myself and others with Vodafones core network issues (Throttling). A series of fixes are in progress:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/m-p/2627540#M...

The last one being one the night of the 19th. So if mine is not fixed by then I shall be taking this following route:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints/code-of-practice

View more options

@MarkFromPompey wrote:

@robuk360 wrote:

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

It sounds like you have exactly the same issue as myself and others with Vodafones core network issues (Throttling). A series of fixes are in progress:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/m-p/2627540#M...

The last one being one the night of the 19th. So if mine is not fixed by then I shall be taking this following route

Thanks for the reply I thought so. Is this a network issue or are Vodafone actually throttling us? I've been reading that thread but cannot get my head around what's going on. 

It seems like it has been going on a while, but I've only experienced it over the week or two.

All I know is my TV keeps buffering, the baby needs little baby bum on YouTube or cries lol.  I'm getting around 1 to 3mb on fast.com this morning, speedtest.net is all over the place depending on the server used. 

If it is not fixed I'll be following you in the complaints process.

Rob

View more options
14: Advanced member

Vodafone make a commitment in their T&Cs, guarantees and various other places not to throttle deliberately.  But it would appear that until very recently they had nothing in place that set off any alarms when things went wrong.  As a result of this they've been "upgrading" their network in a manner that appears to have been breaking it for many of us - completely oblivious to the fact.  Add to this there being no formal means to pass on information about network issues up the chain of command and you have the mess that has been four months in development!

There should be fixes in the pipeline for those still affected.  We do now seem to have a customer champion in place, and they seem to have re-discovered (or at least how to use) the network diagnostics that should ALWAYS have been in place!

View more options

I personally do not feel they are intentionally throttling us. I believe they have issues with their core network line cards which is having a throttling effect on us to most servers.

My fast.com is 2.9 this morning.

I first notice a huge drop in speeds my end around 5 to 6 weeks ago whilst carrying out some Raspberry Pi updates.

So then I investigated further only to discover a huge issue was going on.

Speedtest.net – Firefox Browser – Ubuntu-Mate 18.04 LTS – Lan Socket 1

ServerSingle Thread Ethernet Voda FTTC Mbit/sMulti Thread Ethernet Voda FTTC Mbit/sSingle Thread Tethered with 2.4 GHz WiFi to Xperia Z GiffGaff 4G Mbit/sDistance Miles

Vodafone London52228~70

Vodafone Bracknell62327~52

Vodafone IE Dublin11628~287

fdcservers.net London41728~66

Cambridge Meridian Academies Trust – Peterborough42728~128

Interoute VDC – Slough82629~54

BT – Preston3371 ~214

Cloud Space UK – Canterbury6871 ~120

IOMART – Maidenhead6871 ~53

Wight Fibre – Cowes, Isle of Wight72629~6

Server House LTD – Fareham7071 ~5

IOMART – Gosport7171 ~1.866666667

Windows File sharing on two local machines through Lan Sockets 1 and 2 on Vodafone supplied router1 GigaBit per Second  Local Network Through Voda supplied router
View more options

If you look back to how it all started to fall apart in November, just as the "fixes" are being propagated, the fault propagated.  But it wasn't just traffic passing through individual nodes suddenly hitting a speed bump, we had issues of the most ridiculous routing you could imagine going on too!  On one occasion trying to connect to bbc.co.uk from Teeside, my connection got routed through HongKong, the phillipines, Aukland NZ and SanFrancisco, via 40 ish intermediate servers!  That same connection today is taking 10 hops (i've seen it as low as 8, but 10 works just fine).

All this was taking place at the time that Vodafone started implementing it's QED project - which has now gone very dark, with much of the material relating to  it either having been hidden or removed!  Maybe a coincidence?

View more options

Thanks for the replies everyone, explains a lot.  From reading the main thread on this, it appears most are located in the South of England, I'm in Yorkshire.  Is this a problem country wide or just localised to certain parts?

I spoke to customer service yesterday, bypassing the terrible tech support, they put me in touch with a UK based second line support guy, he was very helpful and knowledgable, he has taken on my particular issue and I've sent in the usual screenshots, Windows in safe mode, wifi off , single PC on cable etc.... Said he's off work today, so will get back to me on Tuesday.  I read that there is a fix coming on the 19th, is that throughout the day or evening of the 19th? Is it for the entire network or just parts?

Cheers

Rob

View more options

@robuk360 w - Hi Rob,

I'm sure I've seen others from Yorkshire & Lancashire etc on here with this same issue.

Unfortunately, as Vodafone are Not being at all Transparent on this issue and are hiding under rocks, it's very difficult to find out what's really going on.

They have been caught with their underpants down and have been instructed by King Arthur to "Run Away!"

View more options

Teeside here, so that's kinda Yorkshire, though I'd probably not dare say that in public   And here at least we seemed to get the fix in the first batch (and still going strong).  As for what actually happened, that'll be covered by confidentiality, unless OFCOM are investigating!

View more options

Well the update seems to have resolved the issue's I've been having for the last few weeks, maybe longer.  Hopefully it keeps working.  I will monitor it for a while.

I am still waiting for the guy in Egypt to call me back and the UK based tech support guy was suppsed to call me back on Tuesday, still waiting for that too.  Poor service from Vodafone.  I will now be looking to move as soon as my contract is over, just like I did with BT when they had terrible tech support from foreign call centers.  Pity the Vodafone UK call centers are now just as bad. The mobile phone side of things still seems to be good, so I'll probably keep my mobile phone with them.

Rob 

View more options