Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slower speed with Superfast 2 than Superfast 1

matchplayer
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I was happy with Superfast 1 & getting speeds of 28-31 Mb/s, I decided to upgrade to Superfast 2 32-56 4expected Mb/s. However I struggle to get 28Mb/s. I have called support countless times & just totally fed up with them not doing their job. 1st time speed was only 25Mb/s so they said they would contact BT Openreach to test the line. I never heard anymore about it. Called several times since & just go through the whole process again. I refused last time as they started by wanting to switch off the wifi. I replied that I'm not interested in my wifi speed, I have 4 devices connected by ethernet cables. PC, Firestick, Sky & TV. All speed tests are carried out over ethernet cable direct to the router & connected direct to the master socket (In the loft). I am wondering if when i first had the phone line installed the BT engineer had to wait a few days & return as all the phone lines were in use on the telegraph pole. He mentioned something about splitting a line. I was just happy to get connected & new phone number, broadband worked fine too with top end of expected speeds. I am 2522 meters from the cabinet. I dont know what "Line splitting" means or does, but would it have an impact on getting higher speeds? My neighbour gets 56Mb/s, that was by me checking via laptop & ethernet cable direct to her router, with SKY Broadband. PS when i moved to SF2 i requested a new router, i.e. latest one. Model THG3000. I have just realised, I should connect the old one & test with that too.

49 REPLIES 49

gipjon
16: Advanced member

Long story short if you was getting 30mb on superfast one . You could sign up for 10,000000000 meg and the max you will still ever get is 30mb . Vodafone should not have upgraded your package   you need to complain to the escalation department. 

You can get a rough idea of the speeds on your street from this link

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Sorry to say but thats the whole truth.  30mb max and that's it . Nothing you do will make it better . Apart from renewing the the whole phone line back to the fibre cabinet with copper or fibre cable 

Distance from the street cabinet (km) FTTC fibre broadband connection speed (Mbps)

There is no way your next door is getting 56mb on a line length of 2.5 . Unless you measured it wrong 

Cynric

This link https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/ will tell you what speeds to expect. Your figures will be on the second line "VDSL Range B (Impacted)".

Jayach

I was going to suggest basically the same as the previous posters, but if you are getting less than the BT checker suggests and less than your neighbour it's possible your internal wiring is slowing you down. Try in the test socket and let us know what you sync speeds and SNR are.

VDSL (Impacted) says Downstream Line Rate - High 54.6, Low 35. Downstream handback threshold? = 27.4. What does that Download Handback Threshold mean?

Cynric

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-connection/Superfast-2/td-p/2681442

See the above URL for more information on handback.

Remember to use the wiring and accessories supplied with the new  THG3000 wireless hub that they supply.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors used when selling BB and the use of the word "speed" should be banned IMHO.

I'll bet most people could manage just as well on an 11Mb ADSL line without going FTTC.

Jayach

@dooper wrote:

I'll bet most people could manage just as well on an 11Mb ADSL line without going FTTC.

You would lose that bet. You can't even stream a single 4K movie on that.

JB_MASON
4: Newbie

@Evie wrote:

Solely for family reasons, I'm rooting for Scotland  I do realise I'm living in a fantasy land...🦄

Look on the bright side, in fantasy land you have internet speeds of up to 2,500Mbps.

Unlike me here with 31Mbps 🙈

Starting to think yous are supplying me with Superfast 1, instead of Superfast 2 🤣

Lines here can't be that bad, that using G.Vector to boost the line is the only way to get good speeds. 🤔

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I've just popped your post onto this thread @JB_MASON to keep on topic 😊 I understand that it's important to have a stable connection, especially now and make sure you're getting the best speeds you can!

Do you get these slower speeds over both wired and wireless connections?

Please don't' hesitate to drop us a message on social media with your landline number and full name so that we can run some tests on your line 🔍