Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slower speed with Superfast 2 than Superfast 1

matchplayer
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I was happy with Superfast 1 & getting speeds of 28-31 Mb/s, I decided to upgrade to Superfast 2 32-56 4expected Mb/s. However I struggle to get 28Mb/s. I have called support countless times & just totally fed up with them not doing their job. 1st time speed was only 25Mb/s so they said they would contact BT Openreach to test the line. I never heard anymore about it. Called several times since & just go through the whole process again. I refused last time as they started by wanting to switch off the wifi. I replied that I'm not interested in my wifi speed, I have 4 devices connected by ethernet cables. PC, Firestick, Sky & TV. All speed tests are carried out over ethernet cable direct to the router & connected direct to the master socket (In the loft). I am wondering if when i first had the phone line installed the BT engineer had to wait a few days & return as all the phone lines were in use on the telegraph pole. He mentioned something about splitting a line. I was just happy to get connected & new phone number, broadband worked fine too with top end of expected speeds. I am 2522 meters from the cabinet. I dont know what "Line splitting" means or does, but would it have an impact on getting higher speeds? My neighbour gets 56Mb/s, that was by me checking via laptop & ethernet cable direct to her router, with SKY Broadband. PS when i moved to SF2 i requested a new router, i.e. latest one. Model THG3000. I have just realised, I should connect the old one & test with that too.

49 REPLIES 49

I'm 1 mile away from the main exchange, I don't know about the street cabinets. Is there a way for me to run a test and find out?

It's the speed on the routers overview speedtest is always lower wired never tried wireless. https://vodauk.speedtestcustom.com/result/e31a5360-caa5-11eb-9eb6-7b200957bf04 

EDIT: is this any help image-2021-06-11-122555

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thank you for sending that over @JB_MASON - You can run a sync speed test on your Vodafone Broadband app.

If you could drop us a message on social media via the link in my previous post, make sure to include a link back to this thread so you don't have to repeat yourself, we can run some tests and help to get your speeds up and running 👍

I guess I will try after 2pm on facebook, everyone out to lunch or it's froze 😅

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@JB_MASON

The distance from the exchange is irrelevant on FTTC, It's the distance from the cabinet that is important.

You are on cabinet 1, the number will be marked on one of the the cabinets so look at your local cabinets to find the correct one. 

What are your sync speeds (not download speeds) and SNRs?

This may help with finding the cabinet.

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm

Sync speed is Maximum Rate? This router doesn't say sync speed, my old one does.
Downstream 30791 kbps & Upstream 5698 kbps

Signal-to-Noise Ratio 5.3 dB down & 6 dB up

Cabinet 1 is roughly half a mile away from the house. Took me a while to find it, but it's a 4minute from my house to it. (once you know where it is). Then 15minute walk from cabinet 1 to the Exchange.

Beth said in chat, that because getting over the minimum of 25Mbps, there's nothing can be done.

Jayach

Sync speed is Current Rate in DSL Status

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate79234 kbps20000 kbps
Maximum Rate80819 kbps29722 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio6.1 dB12.1 dB

Your SNRs show your modem is achieving the best it can. As it is much lower than the BT checker it may be due to problems at your end. Have you tried with the router in the test socket?

You may not see faster speeds immediately but hopefully the SNRs will rise.

@JB_MASON wrote:

Beth said in chat, that because getting over the minimum of 25Mbps, there's nothing can be done.

If the test socket doesn't improve things you may as well go back on Superfast 1

NO, NO, NO.
If they put me onto SF1
I'd be getting even slower speeds since SF2 is up to 63 and I'm getting just under half of it. Better to keep SF2!

image-2021-06-11-144122

I will try the master socket direct, but I can't see it changing anything. There's a join in the line inside the house that BT done themselves. From the old original bell ringer socket to the new Openreach master socket, wires just joined together and stuck onto a lump of lead.

Jayach

@JB_MASON wrote:

NO, NO, NO.
If they put me onto SF1
I'd be getting even slower speeds since SF2 is up to 63 and I'm getting just under half of it. Better to keep SF2!

I will try the master socket direct, but I can't see it changing anything. There's a join in the line inside the house that BT done themselves. From the old original bell ringer socket to the new Openreach master socket, wires just joined together and stuck onto a lump of lead.

The speed should be exactly the same on SF1, SF1's maximum is 35 (from memory) so you are under that.

If BT extended the cable, hopefully they have used the correct cable. The "up to" speeds are an estimate based on the speeds average users get. Nothing to do with individual lines.

Jayach

@JB_MASON wrote:

I will try the master socket direct, but I can't see it changing anything. .

Are you saying you are not in the master socket? If you are in an extension, no wonder your speeds are bad.

The test socket is reached by removing the master socket faceplate.

Edit: When you remove the master faceplate all the other extensions should be "dead", if they are not your cabling is incorrect.

@Jayach wrote:

@JB_MASON wrote:

I will try the master socket direct, but I can't see it changing anything. .

Are you saying you are not in the master socket? If you are in an extension, no wonder your speeds are bad.

The test socket is reached by removing the master socket faceplate.

Edit: When you remove the master faceplate all the other extensions should be "dead", if they are not your cabling is incorrect.

30minute test without faceplate on both. Not long enough maybe, but I have to head out shortly.
Master2RouterMaster2RouterMaster2DSL-Fliter2RouterMaster2DSL-Fliter2Router

You call it Test Socket, I call it the Master Socket, because it's direct connection to the line without the Faceplate.