Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Speed capped at 30 since own modem

rogy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

i have the  60 down plan here in London, on ethernet i consistently got 53-57 fine. 

when we moved to wfh, the wifi of the supplied thg3000 wasn’t cutting it so i set up an huawei openrrach modem, and unifi security gateway router and AP. 

I was getting 57-60 on ethernet and the same over wifi. 

the last month or so when checking speeds on fast.com it hits 30 in wifi and ethernet every time, like there is a hard cap at 30. 

any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @rogy - I understand how important it is to have a stable connection, especially now and since you're working from home. I myself am working from home, so I appreciate we need to get this sorted so you're getting the best service possible.

When you run a sync speed test on your Broadband app do you get the same speed results?

For us to check your line and run some test, could you contact us on social media? Please be sure to include your  landline/account number and a link to this forum so you don't need to repeat yourself 😊

i cant check that on the app because im not sure the vodafone modem

Cynric
16: Advanced member

.@rogy Do you get a significantly different speed if you use this test? https://www.speedtest.net/

Only asking because fast.com only show my line as 28M down and speedtest shows 44M down. As a double-check I tried this, https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/broadband-test , and got 47M down.

exactly the same on all three

Cynric

.@rogy Sorry to hear that. I was just hoping that there may have been something in the test used. 

Jayach

What are your SNR figures? If they are significantly over 6 then you are capped.

Have you tried re-connecting the Vodafone router to see if that gives the same?

here are my modem stats, it looks like i am capped at 34.9mbps

xslcmd info --stats

1. xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
  2. Status: Showtime
  3. Retrain Reason: 0
  4. Last initialization procedure status: 0
  5. Max: Upstream rate = 15919 Kbps, Downstream rate = 53180 Kbps
  6. Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 15915 Kbps, Downstream rate = 34999 Kbps
  7. Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

dannylee1980
4: Newbie

I have the same issue, been using my own router for years. Was getting 18.7 - 21.5mbps 

This weekend i found I have been capped to exactly 18mbps after not being able to online game because high ping and only getting 15mbps.

I was getting 14.2 ping and 18.7mbps with a sync of 21.8mbps