Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Speed changing after reboot.

NewtonBoy
4: Newbie
  • Strange one.  I'm paying for Superfast 2, 55mb.   Been slow since September after a power cut (was getting 70mb but dropped to mid 30s).   Last Friday about 3am my router rebooted and suddenly syncing at 80mb and getting 75mb on Speedtest.  Been constantly high since then......until today.  Had a new smart meter fitted and turned off the router as the electricity was being switched off.  Turned it back on and back to 35mb again.

The dsl Status says 

Current rate 36,036

Maximum rate 80,455

The maximum rate has been that high since September, but until last week I was stuck in mid 30s sync speed.

16 REPLIES 16

MarkD

Hi @NewtonBoy, do you know what your minimum guaranteed speed is for the service? Since posting the message a couple of days ago, have you seen any improvement with the sync speed? 

I think it's 33.4.  Current sync speed is 31.2.   But our village was upgraded after I signed up with Vodafone.

My neighbour is with you too.  He gets a fast speed and I've even tried his wifi from my house and get twice the speed I'm getting!

The current line quality stats on my router in the DSL Status are:-

Current rate 31189 kbps Maximum rate 73947  SNR 23.8db

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@NewtonBoy wrote:

The current line quality stats on my router in the DSL Status are:

Current rate 31189 kbps Maximum rate 73947  SNR 23.8db

The router is obviously having trouble negotiating a stable speed with the cabinet, the SNR should be around 6db.

Have you tried with the router connected to the test socket?

Yes.  I had it connected to the test socket for months (I've spent hours and hours on the phone to tech support,  so I didn't bother removing it).   But when Openreach came in September they put a new master socket in which doesn't have a socket for the phone when the test socket is used. 

I'll try it tomorrow (I need to move a cupboard).  Should I just remove the phone lead and switch sockets or turn off the router and reboot?

When I had my 80mb sync speed last week my SNR was IIRC 5.6db.

Jayach

@NewtonBoy wrote:

But when Openreach came in September they put a new master socket in which doesn't have a socket for the phone when the test socket is used. 

You will need to use a plug-in filter, however if Openreach have just fitted the new socket they will have ensured that problems such as those caused by internal wiring have been eliminated. If you have the latest filtered socket you remove the front panel by squeezing the sides, no tools required.

I'll try it tomorrow (I need to move a cupboard).  Should I just remove the phone lead and switch sockets or turn off the router and reboot?

If you try to plug the router into the phone connection of a filtered socket (the one with separate phone and internet connections) it wont work at all, it will be already filtered.

I would power off and back on, but to be honest either should work.

When I had my 80mb sync speed last week my SNR was IIRC 5.6db.

Your line appears to be much like mine. If I reboot I get a sync of approx 79Mbs with an SNR of 6.3db, but after a few days DLM seems to cause my router to reboot, at about 2am, and it changes to 80 at 5.5. Why yours starts so low is a puzzle. It's worth trying the test socket again, but from what you say it doesn't sound likely to make much difference. If does improve things then maybe the (new) filtered faceplate is faulty.

Incidentally, I did an online chat yesterday and was told to change the DNS settings to 1111 and 1001 and everything will be good in 24 hours.  Would that affect my sync speed.  24 hours later, nothing's changed.

Cynric

I'm afraid that DNS settings are not related to Sync Speed.

Try this link https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL and it should tell you a number of things including the expected max and min speeds. The Sync Speed is an indication of the line capacity and is not the same as the experienced download rate which depends on a number of things.  

That website gives me:-

Range A (clean) high  61.4  low 42.9

Range B (impacted) high 60 low 40

Last tested Jan 4.  

Should my guaranteed minimum speed be so much lower than the low figure?

Jayach

Guaranteed minimum speed is a pretty meaningless figure, but it should be no lower than the Handback
Threshold shown on the webpage @cynric posted.

You can see what Vodafone think you should get here:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals/superfast

You line is capable of much more, your SNR figure proves that. You may need Openreach out again to do more checks. They seem to dig a little deeper on the second visit.

Have you tried in the test socket? Vodafone will probably not take it any further unless you have been connected in there for 72 hours.