Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Speed changing after reboot.

NewtonBoy
4: Newbie
  • Strange one.  I'm paying for Superfast 2, 55mb.   Been slow since September after a power cut (was getting 70mb but dropped to mid 30s).   Last Friday about 3am my router rebooted and suddenly syncing at 80mb and getting 75mb on Speedtest.  Been constantly high since then......until today.  Had a new smart meter fitted and turned off the router as the electricity was being switched off.  Turned it back on and back to 35mb again.

The dsl Status says 

Current rate 36,036

Maximum rate 80,455

The maximum rate has been that high since September, but until last week I was stuck in mid 30s sync speed.

16 REPLIES 16

The Vodafone website says I should get 63mb on Superfast 2.

Can't use the test socket and the landline simultaneously with the new master socket that Openreach fitted in September.   

I had the problem in December when I tried again to get this sorted. The tech team told me to plug the router into the test socket and they'd phone me to talk through it.  When I plugged it in I realised that I couldn't use the landline.  

Unfortunately,  we don't get a mobile signal indoors! 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@NewtonBoy wrote:

Can't use the test socket and the landline simultaneously with the new master socket that Openreach fitted in September.   

Yes you can, you use the plug-in filter that was supplied with the router.

Silly me!   Done that.

Figures immediately after connecting to test socket with splitter.  Current 44,501 Max 45xxx SNR 3.6.

Five minutes after reboot,  Current 44,501 Max 88xxx SNR 18.6.

Jayach

Your rapid changes of SNR looks just like the problem I had and mine turned out to be a faulty fibre port in, I believe, the cabinet. Openreach swapped me to another port and all has been good since.

Obviously yours may not be the same cause and Vodafone tried a replacement router first before calling out Openreach for a second time.

The only trouble you will have is convincing Vodafone to do anything. I would not bother with chat or social media but call them direct on the broadband support line 08080 034 515. It will still be a hard process but you will have more chance of a resolution.

I'll ring them tomorrow.   They sent a new router after the first Openreach visit, which made no difference.   

At least I'm getting a fairly decent speed after using the test socket, but it's costing Vodafone a 15% discount every month.  

I had a very terse phone call in December saying I was getting Guaranteed Minimum Speed so I should stop complaining.   

Only 17 months of my contract left!

Thanks for your time and help.  Much appreciated.   I wish I had the same service from Vodafone.

Jayach

The trouble with a varying SNR is if it reaches O the router will reboot. I was getting sometimes 4 or 5 a day, possibly that many in an hour, other times it might go a week without rebooting but during that time it would be running at a much reduced speed and still with varying SNR. It took all told 3 months from joining Vodafone to getting a stable line, and it was hell.

Good Luck.

Jayach

@NewtonBoy wrote:

Incidentally, I did an online chat yesterday and was told to change the DNS settings to 1111 and 1001 and everything will be good in 24 hours.  Would that affect my sync speed.  24 hours later, nothing's changed.

I totally despair at the things Vodafone tells customers. A change of DNS in the router will take effect immediately, but will have no effect on sync speed.