Ask

Solution

Speed dropping

bendyone
4: Newbie

My download speed has dropped this week, but upload is the same. Any ideas

DownloadDownloadUploadUpload

28 REPLIES 28

Hmmm that's interesting that we're both essentially seeing the same thing, since the weekend, on different broadband products. 

I wonder if it's a routing issue of some sort within the VF network, or maybe a localised issue. Whereabouts are you? I'm in Leeds here

I haven't heard from 2nd line yet, and their response SLA runs out tomorrow morning so I'll be straight back on the phone with them!

I’m in Preston. Not too far away but far enough for it not to be a local issue.

From looking through other posts this seems to happening to a few people lately from September.  

A couple of people have reported that their speeds have ‘magically’ returned to normal, one took a week I think from the dates in the posts, another took a month. 

Yeah I think you're right on the question of whether it's local ...

Good to know it's not just me though. I'll certainly point to this thread when I call VF in the morning so hopefully they'll see there are a few affected users. 

Fingers crossed we're all back up to full speed soon

I’m not techy but I’d guess it’s a VF network issue. 

Stricter lockdowns means more people online and the network can’t cope. So people/areas are being throttled even though they say they don’t do that, which it technically might not be classed as because the sync speed is still normal. 

I’m sure I read about this happening when the full lockdown was in place  earlier in the year. Then they apologised and assured everything was being done to sort it.

Which is much more preferable then  being asked if iv put my router by a mirror or something ridiculous like that.

Hope you get some answers tomorrow, keep us updated. 

Just out of interest, can you run a test on http://openspeedtest.com/

I'd be curious to know what you get on there

if I follow the link, it tells me I get 40mbps.  any other site seems to correctly report the fact that I cannot even connect to my outlook exchange to download emails....

try this one: http://speedtest.samknows.com/

way more reliable and no ads

yeah, openspeedtest is the ONLY speed tester that gives me a result anywhere near what it should be - all the others are abysmal.

Anyway, hopefully i'll get somewhere tomorrow morning

Haven’t tried that one before, strangely it hit 32 download and 17 upload. Still only half of my usual download speed but still much faster then speedtest.net.

So I just tried speedtest.net again and 3 other new apps but on all of them I get 5 download and 17 upload. 

I don’t know what to make of that. Will try some more

My download speed has now dropped so low it won’t work. Luckily I’d not cancelled bt yet but I’m paying 2 providers and getting rubbish service.

ive changed my SIM card and my router. I’ve been on a chat with Vodafone for 4 hours tonight and still not solved.  

When i I put the sim in my phone the download was still bad.  The upload is still a good 20mbps in both.  Vodafone said they’d get back to me in 5-7 days. 

I just hope hope I don’t have to contend with homeschooling with no internet.

Openreach person comming this morning as VF say it is a line problem. Interesting as it's only the download speed that has dropped.

bendyone_0-1602745001828.png