main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Internet speed

Started using own router and poor speed

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hi, I recently joined Vodafone and have been getting speeds of around 65Mb when running speed tests but my LG TV really doesn't like the Vodafone router and we keep having to restart it.

I have a TPLink Archer AC1200 (VR400) lying around so I've set it up. It's showing as syncing at 70Mb but speed tests over WiFi only get around 15Mb. Any idea why? I'm using the 5Ghz band and right next to the router.

View more options
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

Okay, first things first...

Out of the toolbox I'd start by using a phone app called WiFi sweet spots.  It just measures the unloaded speed between your phone and the router.  Don't worry if that's on the 2.4GHz band - as it's just to see local speed.  *I would suspect this is going to be fine.

If that's all good then you probably want to be connecting to the router using an ethernet cable if that's possible and then try accessing a site such as http://speedtest.net - if you are close to London then when selecting the test server pick the London Vodafone server, and if close to Manchester pick that one instead.  When you've done that, if those speeds are lousy, then you know you have a problem!  Call it backhaul or congestion whatever, it just means that there is insufficient local capacity!

The fix?  Well, you can then contact Vodafone's customer support though you may need to plug in the VF router back in!  If any operative then tells you to split the SSIDs based on this info, they are a complete and utter moron!.  What they should be able to do is conduct some tests and tell you if there is a fix!  You'll also see other posts on these boards from people who have been let out of their contracts due to congestion and there being no fix possible in the short term!

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

Thanks. I'll give this a go. The poor speed literally just started when plugging in the TP Link router. So I thought it was maybe a setting issue.

View more options