Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Started using own router and poor speed

Migwire
4: Newbie

Hi, I recently joined Vodafone and have been getting speeds of around 65Mb when running speed tests but my LG TV really doesn't like the Vodafone router and we keep having to restart it.

I have a TPLink Archer AC1200 (VR400) lying around so I've set it up. It's showing as syncing at 70Mb but speed tests over WiFi only get around 15Mb. Any idea why? I'm using the 5Ghz band and right next to the router.

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, first things first...

Out of the toolbox I'd start by using a phone app called WiFi sweet spots.  It just measures the unloaded speed between your phone and the router.  Don't worry if that's on the 2.4GHz band - as it's just to see local speed.  *I would suspect this is going to be fine.

If that's all good then you probably want to be connecting to the router using an ethernet cable if that's possible and then try accessing a site such as http://speedtest.net - if you are close to London then when selecting the test server pick the London Vodafone server, and if close to Manchester pick that one instead.  When you've done that, if those speeds are lousy, then you know you have a problem!  Call it backhaul or congestion whatever, it just means that there is insufficient local capacity!

The fix?  Well, you can then contact Vodafone's customer support though you may need to plug in the VF router back in!  If any operative then tells you to split the SSIDs based on this info, they are a complete and utter moron!.  What they should be able to do is conduct some tests and tell you if there is a fix!  You'll also see other posts on these boards from people who have been let out of their contracts due to congestion and there being no fix possible in the short term!

Thanks. I'll give this a go. The poor speed literally just started when plugging in the TP Link router. So I thought it was maybe a setting issue.

Not sure if you fixed this problem but by plugging in a separate wireless router to the VF hub, you're doing two things;

1) If you haven't disabled the wifi on the VF hub then it will invariably interfere with the 2nd router

2) You have a double NAT situation because the VF hub and the 2nd router are both sorting IP addresses. It works but the system takes a bit more time to sort things out (very simplified).

Unfortunately, the VF hub does not have a modem mode /bridge setting so if you do want to continue using the 3rd party router you will need to get a standalone VDSL modem. 

Hi, 

I had replaced the VF router with the TP Link one.

I set the WiFi channels to auto and moved the house alarm wireless module and a Phillips Hue bridge and Nest thermostat further away and the speeds picked up. Thinking maybe interference. Now rock solid and very fast.