Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Superfast 2 Sync speed appears capped

Shellshocked77
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have superfast 2 and for the last month or so my sync speed has  halved to exactly 17.   It doesn't really change regardless of time of day.   I've previously had issues and engineers out twice now who have said there is no line issues and it has been management caps vodafone side. They reset at the cabinet and it returns back to 34 ish.  Vodafone sent be this message today

. We?ve been looking into the slower speeds you?ve been getting with your broadband service. Unfortunately, we won?t be able to meet the ultimate speed we told you about when you ordered ? we?re very sorry. So to honor our Ultimate Speed Guarantee, we?re giving you a 15% discount on your monthly cost for the lifetime of your current package

I don't understand how my speed can halve and it cant be fixed. The fact its always exactly 17 suggest it has been capped at this speed and not a fault.   If vodafone can't honor the speed guarantee can I leave the contract free from and exit fees?

10 REPLIES 10

cmarkod
4: Newbie

Yes you can. Just need to talk to customer support. They'll argue for a bit but just state clearly that you want to leave as they can't honour their speed guarantee and they'll let you go without penalty.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Shellshocked77 - I understand how important it is to have a stable connection, especially at a time like this!

I'm really disappointed to hear that we have been unable to meet your minimum guaranteed speeds, this isn't the level of service we aim for! So that we can look into your account and make sure we have tried all we can to get your speeds up and running could drop us a message on social media?

Make sure to include a link to this forum thread and your landline/account number.

What an absolute waste of time.  I set up a twitter account messaged in like I was asked. The service was even worse than via Live chat. It took 1.5 hrs to go through security only to go through all the previous questions that I had given already thenweek before. Then this message 

'We do apologise that you haven't been getting the minimum guaranteed speed and as a result of this you have been given a 15% discount on your broadband for the remainder of the contract. If you would like to cancel this then you can speak to our cancellations team on: 0333 304 0191 and they'll be able to discuss whether you are able to leave free of charge 🙂 Muhammad

How about you vodafobe actually look into fixing the problem.  My sync speed has mysteriously capped itself at 17meg halved exactly from 34 on a 76meg contract.   Open reach have been to my house twice and said there are no line faults and it is administrative error Vodafone side.  Today again the Vodafone operative had our address as one I moved from 3 years ago! This contract has been renewed and upgraded twice since then and each time I've been told my address information has been updated. Could this be the problem?  My old address was on superfast 1 and the details from then transposed to this address causing a conflict?  I'm clutching at straws but at least I'm putting more effort in that Vodafone.  If I don't have some sort of posituveinput or resolution in the next few days then I will start a complaints process and terminate the contract - free of exit.fees.  

Vodafone you were so good in the beginning, what happened????????

Thanks for the update @Shellshocked77, if your speeds are falling below the Minimum Guaranteed Speeds there must be a reason for this. When you sent us your message over Twitter, did you include your Community username? 

Yes as per the previous moderator, (Evie) request I sent the link to this whole thread.  8.24am was my first contact on twitter and the replies were so slow with the final response at 12.41. Its been  referred to the 'higher technical team' and they'll send an engineer out to check the line.  This will be the 3rd time an engineer has come out. Each time they say there is absolutely no fault with the line and it is an administrative error Vodafone side whereby a management cap has been put on the line and Vodafone can't get it off. They reset the line at cabinet/exchange using their machine. The line goes unstable for several hours then resets back to about 34meg sync.  Its good for about 4 -6 months then same thing happens all over again. I'm getting really tired of explaining the same thing over and over to vodafone. 

@Shellshocked77 wrote:
This will be the 3rd time an engineer has come out. Each time they say there is absolutely no fault with the line and it is an administrative error Vodafone side whereby a management cap has been put on the line and Vodafone can't get it off. They reset the line at cabinet/exchange using their machine. The line goes unstable for several hours then resets back to about 34meg sync.  Its good for about 4 -6 months then same thing happens all over again.

If it is an "administrative error" by Vodafone why would the line work for several months after the Openreach visits?

It's also strange for the line to be unstable for several hours after their visits.

It does sound like a line fault or possibly modem, but as it works for months at a time it will be hard to identify it.

From the message you received from Muhammad, it's sounds like Vodafone may be willing to let you leave without penalties and that may be the best option for you, although a 15% discount may be a reason to stay.

Out of interest what does the BT checker say your line should be capable of?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add to Jayach's answer, if there is a status page in the menus of your router web admin: See what mode the connection is.  If the VDSL2 mode is 8A (not 17A) then you are probably set up incorrectly on the VF servers!

On BT line checker it shown clean line High of 51.4 and Low of 35.  On an impacted line it shows a high of 49.7 and low of 31.  

Open reach engineer has just contacted me.  He could do everything without attending house. He says no issues shown on line but it appears the line has been capped again Vodafone side.  He reset the line and the speed has jumped back up to 37Meg sync speed. He has no idea why it is happening and not really their issue as its the settings on the account Vodafone side.  Hopefully it will be good for another few months and we'll go through the process all over again.. Thank you for everyone's input, back to homeschooling!

@Shellshocked77 wrote:

He says no issues shown on line but it appears the line has been capped again Vodafone side.  He reset the line and the speed has jumped back up to 37Meg sync speed.

If it's capped at Vodafone how is he able to reset it? Sounds more like DLM is capping the line and that is surely an Openreach thing. Shame they can't allow us to call and request a reset without having to  jump through all the hoops.