cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Superfast2 degraded evening service (logged speedtests)

richbos
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

We signed up for Superfast2 which was initially stable at over 70mbps 24/7. After a month or so it started to degrade with notable speed fluctuations. Although now stable during the day the speed drops to between 5mbps and 15mbps between 5.30 and 11pm every evening.
I'm an IT systems engineer so have a rolling speedtest configured from a Raspberry Pi to monitor the connection. The Pi plugs directly into the router via ethernet and runs a cli speedtest on a cronjob every 30 minutes. The results are pushed into InfluxDB and pulled into Grafana. I have attached some of the results to highlight the issue (30 days and 7 days), as well as the Vodafone speed test advisory.
I am keen to get this resolved as signup guaranteed 55mbps and we are now paying for a service we are not receiving. Although their wording with this is ambiguous as it reads "If it doesn't achieve the minimum guaranteed speed for a sustained period"

Vodafone do state that if connection speed doesn't meet advised standards and they are unable to resolve it that customers are entitled to cancel, as such I will be contacting them during the evening slowdown to report the issue. 

19 REPLIES 19

MarkD

Hi @richbos, thanks for reaching out on the community and thanks for attaching the screenshots. Our broadband team on Twitter or Facebook would love to take a look at the speeds that you're receiving and check for any faults on the line. You can find how to contact them here

The connection is definately getting worse with now sub 2mbps evening download speeds and ridiculous ping latency (I've attached a screenshot covering last night).

I have logged an official complaint - Ref 13044047 - but so far have had no contact other than the automated reply. I posted multipe times on Twitter and eventually received a DM requesting account details etc, but have had no further contact from that.

We have had the same issues in the past with both BT and Virgin, both of which never got resolved and ended up with us having to sit out the contract and cancel.
It's abysmal really, all providers seem the same, offering stability for a few weeks/months then it degrades rapidly and you end up wasting hours talking to Indian call centres with their scripted responses.

We were previously with Three (Home-Fi) which to its credit was brilliant until we moved house to an area with a congested and weak 4g signal. 

I'm going to take the date of my complaint as the start of the 30 day fix window, after which, based on evidence I can supply, I will request contract cancellation unless the issue is resolved.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies for the delay replying to your DM @richbos. We're extremely busy at the moment and it's taking us a little longer than expected to reply to everyone. Rest assured a member of our team will be in touch as soon as we reach your message.

To update, the evening speed drop has eased in recent days (see attached grab), whether this is a result of my complaint, action here, or in Twitter I am unable to confirm, Vodafone could have done *something*, or it could just be coincidence. 

I'll continue to post upates and see how the situation unfolds.

If anyone is interested the post code area is B17.

Update from the last 24 hours. Still dropping and with a glitch this morning too.

If anyone is interested in the Raspberry Pi based internet speed monitoring solution I am using, here is the link to setup and configuration - https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-internet-speed-monitor/

Hi

Also you could transform it into a  Black Hole  when the speed tests have finished.

Hi, yes, I already use pi-Hole, it's a great utility 👍

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

.@richbos That's a neat solution. I do something similar but export the CSV to Excel where I process it.

Hi folks, thought I’d add my two cents. Having the same issue with download speed degradation in the evenings. I have logs from my speedtest.net app. The results are identical across wired and wireless connections. Any suggestions where I can start contacting folks would be great, I have all the time in the world working from home 👍🏼.