Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

TERRIBLE download speeds!

cableguru
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

After 21 days with Vodafone home broad band suddently I have terrible download speeds in the evening! During the day it is running at circa 65mbps which is fine, evening I am down at 3 or even 2 mbps! Live chat all advisors busy, ring them and just sit on hold. What an absolute shambles of a provider!

I can see a very interesting conversation happening as they are now not fulfilling their contract.

13 REPLIES 13

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there @cableguru, we'd love to help!  What kind of broadband do you have with us? Please also let me know if the steps in our support guides, such as trying different Wi-Fi channels during the next evening or so, help to improve your speeds. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Natasha, there is an intermittent fault affecting the WHOLE OF THE NORTH EAST of the UK on Vodafone.  Somewhere a routing device crashes intermittently.  When this happens the system falls back and routes all users in the North East to your London datacentre - but there's not enough backhaul capacity and so our throughput falls!

Changing anything on the user's devices will not correct this since it's taking place on the DSLGB network.  The last it happened today was at 15:50 and lasted for 15 minutes.  The 40% drop in throughput is mostly not-critical here, but EVERY TIME the routing changes it's picked up by my burglar alarm as attempted external tampering and the bleeding thing beeps, even if it's in the middle of the night!  A simple trace-route is all it takes to identify the changed datacentre routing, but that doesn't show anything but the end-points.  There should be an engineer out there who is getting auto-notified that there is an issue, and have the info on where it is going wrong.  Telling users to change settings on their equipment when the fault is external to them is only likely to end up creating additional faults and compound issues further - this is a real issue and needs fixing!  If there is an internet switch in the North East that is failing then it needs to be repaired or replaced before it fails completely!

This does sound very familiar, however I'm in the East of England.  but 1550 today my throughput nosedived, for the last few days similarly has only picked up again at 2300.  I thought perhaps a general capacity issue, but something in the back of mind says this may be a similar case to the one you've investigated.  However, after much complaining today, it seems to have resolved at around 2000hrs,, I wonder if there has been a duff config somewhere since they "added extra capacity"

100% agree with you, mine dropped again at nearly the same time as always around 18:20 and has now come up again. The previous nights it's remained down til nearly midnight.  Let's see what happens tomorrow. 

I do hope it was a bad configuration and won't happen again. 

Hi Natasha, a pointless task I'm afraid as it will not help. 

To date I am far from impressed with Vodafone, an app that doesn't show true speeds, an app that the advisors are always busy so you cannot live chat, a phone line that you are on hold for an hour, seems like a fundamental flaw and that Vodafone are do not have the infastructure to provide a reliable service. 

PW2410
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I live near Peterborough and last night at ~7pm my download speed dropped to <2mb/s and did not start to recover until gone midnight, my upload speed was not effected (???).

Did a speed test (using ThinkBroadBand) this morning and everything is back to normal. This is the second time I have noticed it happening.

Paul

I just wrote a long post about how I'm having the same issues. My broadband is now unusable. I edited the post and for some reason my images were not displaying. Now I can't see my post?

I'm writing this as a test...

CrapSpeeds.jpg

This is amazing. The image displays in the editor until it is posted and then it becomes a yellow triangle. ##~##...

So it happened again last night, download speeds died and did not come back until late.

If it happens again tonight there will be words.

Paul

I've had the same experience! The app who's full speeds yet I get 2mbps!