Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tenda Nova MW3 Poor WiFi Speed

GRAEMEJOHNSON
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have a Tenda nova Mw3 mesh WiFi setup connected to my Vodafone broadband router.  I have a sync speed to my house of approx 65mbps and when connect to the Tenda base unit with an Ethernet cable the speed is a respectable 58mbps.   My problem is when I connect to the Tenda via WiFi.  The speed drops to below 30mbps and when I move to other points in the house on the mesh network it can drop to 5mbps.  

The Tenda setup is in DHCP mode and I have disable the broadcasting of a WiFi signal from the Vodafone router.   I’ve rebooted both the Vodafone and Tenda networks several times but the WiFi speed is just not improving.   Any advice that helps me achieve optimum speed  is gratefully received. 

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are "double natting"!  You would be better off just having the mesh as a WiFi replacement and letting the router handle DHCP and other network controls!

*You also need to check to see what the network devices you are using are capable of!  You can have the fastest broadband in the world, but if the WiFi abilities of the devices you are using are crap, it'll all still be slow!

Thanks for your help

On the Tenda setup there appears to be an option for ‘Bridge Mode’. I’m not sure if this is what you would be referring to in this instance.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I saw "Bridge mode" there I almost went into a panic, but in this instance that is the correct mode for using these devices alongside an already functioning modem/router!

Thanks for the continued advice.  

I am not au fait with networking so is there anything I need to do to my Vodafone router settings to ensure it works in that mode?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you have the mesh set up, just turn off the routers own WiFi.  You can and should leave everything else on the router to it's default unless you later have problems.  This means that ideally, you want to use the routers DHCP - it is possible to set up the DHCP using the mesh master device instead, but it's a lot of hassle for little to no benefit!