Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Terrible Superfast 2 Broadband Speed.

Carlrg
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi guys,

I have recently moved over from Fibe 35 from Talk Talk and was getting a rock solid 40mbps down and 10mbps up. 

I  changed to Superfast 2 on the 29th March. My speeds have not been what I expected at all. I know I am still in the supposed 10 day Dslam training regime but up to press I have only  had 1 resync at the exchange. The 2 other Cuts shown in my screen shot are by be trying 2 other BT HG612 modems just to make sure the Vodafone or Huawei modems were not at fault. Looking at the stats showed equally terrible attainable sync speeds. IMO either the Dslam has not had a full reset and put on an open profile or there may be some other fault. Also my pole drop wire was renewed when i was with Talk Talk and I know my wiring is A1 inside the house. I am around 500 metres from the street cabinet and expected around 55 down and 14 up.

Please check out my Vodafone Stats below.

DSL Status Information

DSL Mode
ITU-T G.993.2_Annex_B (VDSL2)

DSL Uptime
28 minutes and 45 seconds

Line Coding
DMT

Status
Connected

Number of Cuts

Link Power State
L0

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate42512 kbps9431 kbps
Maximum Rate43333 kbps9431 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio6.4 dB6.1 dB
AttenuationDS1 16.1 dB, DS2 41.6 dB, DS3 64.9 dBUS0 5.4 dB, US1 31.1 dB, US2 48.7 dB
Power13.3 dBm6.7 dBm
CRC Errors in last 28 minute(s)210946
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)00
R (number of bytes in RS code word)1216
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)0.17670.8019
D (interleaver depth)81
Delay0 ms0 ms
  Downstream Upstream
Super Frames0200189
Super Frame Errors00
RS Words389039768604654
RS Correctable Errors4463940
RS Uncorrectable Errors00
  Downstream Upstream
HEC Errors00
OCD Errors00
LCD Errors00
Total Cells1410975830
Data Cells38300420
Bit Errors00
  Downstream Upstream
Total ES204943
Total SES200
Total UAS1677

Where do I go from here because TBH I am not a happy bunny. Why is my upload syncing less now than when I was on a 40/10 with Talk Talk. Why can't there just be a change over with no hiccups. Surely it's not too much to ask. I was with Talk Talk for 18 years and had very little problems with them.

Many thanks for your time. Carl.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Carlrg wrote:

I have noticed at the bottom of the checker it says SOADSL restriction. Is this anything to do with my speeds?

I also have a spare brand new BT pre filtered nte5 box waiting in the wings if you think that might help.

I don't think a prefiltered socket will get better speeds than a filter direct into the test socket, but it will look neater.

I didn't know what a SOADSL restriction was, but it's a bit of a double negative.

It means your exchange won't get SOTAP, which is a copper alternative where fibre is not available.

So it really means fibre is available.

I don't think you are going to achieve much better speeds as you are in the range expected and Openreach won't want to spend money trying to get a bit more out of the line.

DLM may reduce the SNR a little and get you slightly higher but it wont be much.

What it would look like if you were back on TalkTalk I can't say, but I don't think it would look much different.

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Try this once only...

Dis-connect the Router/Modem for at least 30 minutes.

Run a check from here...

https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/home1/

and view the results  EG:

You are connected to cabinet XXYour line length (from the exchange) is approximately 3454 meters.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 80Mb/s

VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 74-80Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 19-20Mb/s.

Then post again as needed.

Thanks for your reply.

These are the stats.

You are connected to cabinet 8. Your line length (from the exchange) is approximately 4931 meters.

"Superfast" VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet) up to 57Mb/s

VDSL uses the phone line copper pair to connect to a modem in the street cabinet and then typically glass fibre to connect back to the exchange and on to us. As this uses less copper wire it provides faster download speeds than ADSL, but costs a little more. For your location, forecast download sync speed is 35-57Mb/s and forecast upload sync speed is 7.3-12.6Mb/s.

I know I am within estimate but believe I should be at the top of the range given above. For my upload not to match my previous provider which was on a slower fiber 35 package is extremely disappointing. As I said in my previous post I have always made sure my side of the circuit is A1 by having no telephone extentions, fitted pre filtered Nte5 sockets and reducing rein and shine where ever possible by additional shielding. The only reason I am going to stick with the Vodafone modem is because it matches the Broadcom chip in the street cabinet. I have even made an external addition to the modem housing with a fan than keeps the chips cool without damaging the original box as I know it still belongs to Vodafone. Just a bit disappointed TBH.

Many thanks for your time Carl.

Hi

Next is the BT one, much like this....

CabinetTest.png

Where column 4 shows the Hand-Back, or minimum you should expect.

Below that figure is usually a 15% discount each month, but you may be able to leave penalty free.

I realise it is not what you want, but hopefully OpenReach are somewhere near the 57 mark for you.

Thanks for your info,

I don't understand why Vodafone don't start people off on a 3db SNR open profile and then let the Dslam do the training from there.

Thanks again, i'm going to do some thinking.

Best regards, Carl.

I feel the exact same issue here. But my previous connection was with Vodafone Superfast1?

In the End It has levelled out at 53.7 up and 10.3 down. The DLM does its job eventually.  I'm happy with the speed in the end because of my Distance from the Cabinet. 

Jayach

There is no reason your sync speeds should be much different to those on TalkTalk.

Are you referring to download speed as measured on speed test sites and have you tried wired to the hub?

What does the BT checker say you should expect? BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Do you know what the TT sync speeds were, because your current sync speed should get you a download speed in the high 30's so not far off what you say they were.

Thanks for your reply Jayach, sorry I didn't make it clear but those were my sync speeds on a slower fiber 35 product where as now I have gone onto a Supposedly superior Superfast 2 product.  I'm just a tad underwhelmed TBH. Looks like i'll have to grin and bear it.

Many thanks for your time, Carl.

Jayach

@Carlrg wrote:

Thanks for your reply Jayach, sorry I didn't make it clear but those were my sync speeds on a slower fiber 35 product where as now I have gone onto a Supposedly superior Superfast 2 product

There is no technical difference between the two products. It's just marketing where they cap the slower product so they can offer it at a lower price.

Your earlier post showed you have a sync of 42.5, but I would try in the test socket with a plug in filter. If your sync is still low and the SNR hasn't risen then your line may be "impacted" as they describe it in the BT checker.

Could you show the results of the BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) checker like @clint_flick has done above.