Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Terrible internet speeds

Labrajaws
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My broadband was activated on Thursday 20th August and was fine for a day or so. Today it is virtually unusable. The sync speed appears to be ok, but doing a Speedtest on WiFi and via Ethernet cable show under 2mbps when it should be around 55mbps.

The internet light has also gone red a few times but then back to white.

Any ideas what is wrong?

30 REPLIES 30

Shocking 

Hello,

I've had the same issue over the weekend. Supposed to be getting 66mbps but was getting around 4mbps. On with the chat twice. Saturday night was so frustrating. They ended up ignoring me because they kept telling me there was no issue their end and I kept telling them there clearly was. I disconnected from the chat after and hour and a half of getting nowhere. Appalling customer service.

Done a bit of research myself as well as speaking to the network guys I work with. They suggested trying a VPN. As soon as I connected my VPN and done a speed test, my connection speeds shot right back up. Turned the VPN off to make sure that my connection was still awful, and it was right back to under 6mbps. 

You shouldn't need to do this, but it seems a decent VPN sorts the issue. I've two phone contracts and my broadband with vodafone that I'll be trying to get out of.

Hope this helps some of you!

Cheers. If they want to provide a vpn for me they can. Otherwise I just want to cancel. They basically told me it was something my end last night then decided they will move my connection to a less populated box. So they're clearly oversubscribed. The issue will be sorted until they fill the new box 

So during all this, what sync speed did your hub say you were getting? I'm just curious how this all fits together.

I'm having more issues right now. Sync speed 76.3mbps. Actual download speed without vpn 17mbps. With vpn 48mbps. That's over ethernet. So almost 3 times faster with the vpn.

Download was actually at 9mbps when I rang them 2 hours ago and they've now set a static IP address for me. Still nowhere near the sync speed though which clearly doesnt mean much.

It looks like there is more than one way this can fail. my sync speed and measured download speeds both match pretty well and both are terrible all the time (never been over 21) so I may have a line fault at the root if it or some other piece of their hardware not performing.

Sounds like yours probably is a line fault 

Quite possibly and there appears to be enough diagnostics in the hub (put it in expert mode and have a look) to give them a very good idea what's going on although not necessarily where. It still doesn't excuse them ignoring me for nearly 5 weeks until I raised a formal complaint.

So my speeds are [Removed] again so whatever they did last night clearly hasn't worked. Either that or the advisor just wanted to get rid of me. He actually said if it doesn't work ill be able to cancel my contract but they'll probably deny it 

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

I got much the same undertaking - "one last chance to fix it"  he said then you can leave. I would suggest you get a a deadlock letter from them first though.