main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Terrible speed and service

2: Seeker

I signed up for VF unlimited fibre as I had good experience previously and thought they may be a good, reliable provider. Since my activation date I have had the worst broadband I have had in years. I am supposed to be on 76mb service with guaranteed minimum of 55. I average 2-3 most days. I have seen speeds reach 60 a couple of times but when repeating the test this drops back down to mid 20's. 

I have had 2 phone calls with technical support. On both occasions I have been promised a call back in 48-72 hours with solutions to the problem. This has not happened on either occasion. I am still waiting for a response from the last time and this has now taken me past my 30 day 'cooling' off period.

It's bad enough that I am paying for a service that I am not receiving, but the fact that technical support is doing nothing about it is unacceptable. I would like to escalate the situation but don't know how best to proceed. Has anyone got any experience of taking this further? 

View more options
8 REPLIES
13: Advanced Member

You should be able to push on the fact that you've registered your dissatisfaction with customer services, and despite promises of call backs, nothing happened.

If that gets you no where then you would need to follow the ofcom advice that you can find at:  https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/dispute-resolution

Regards the speed tests, you need to check via a number of different servers - not all speedtest servers are created equal, and many speedtest servers suffer problems due to load issues at peak times!  So as well as using the servers it's worthwhile looking at real world performance such as downloading files or streaming TV.

It's also worth noting that tha VF router is complete pants!  It appears to be hobbled in a number of areas, probably to stop it over heating and going into boot loops!  One of those hobbles is that it's 2.4GHz radio will never seem to connect at greater than 75Mbps (the chipset is capable of at least twice this) unless you change some settings.  If you have multipe devices active on the 2.4GHz band at peak times this can seriously affect the results you get from any speedtest servers as you can get a bottle neck due to the WiFi signal between the router and your device!

View more options

I too have been noting some very inconsistent speeds on VF fibre. Whilst I am only within the first 10 days my speeds have been at least 20% below BT previously and I've also experienced some drastic dips in download performance including on numerous Speedtest.net servers as low as 9Mbps. On a line length as short as mine I have only been experiencing a highest speed of around 47Mbps which is a drop over what BT were previously providing of almost 60 and this is already below the minimum speed they guarantuee. My main issue is that speeds are nowhere near as consistent as they should be very similar to yours. It's unnacceptable to be advertising a speed of a service that cannot be maintained all the time. I have my own separate VDSL2 modem that I was also using with BT - I've been using it to test speeds as it allows me to isolate my network to just 1 device quickly without having to restart everything so basically nothing internal could be causing an issue: pretty much every test I have ran has been directly via ethernet. In my case I'm going to give it the 10 days and if I don't start seeing some speeds similar to BT then I shall be cancelling and going back to them. In your case if they are unable to maintain the Openreach minimum required speed they should be releasing you from contract which should be explainable to their customer services over the phone. Unfortunately I seem to be reading of many negative experiences on this forum so it does definitely seem that not all VDSL providers using Openreach lines are created equal!

View more options

Thanks for your reply. Regarding some of those answers. I have been using multiple speed tests - mostly speedtest and think broadband, both give similar results with think broadband being slightly faster. My realworld performance is terrible - streaming on Netflix is down to SD quality at best, if it streams at all. This morning I have managed to get a download of 45 and upload of 18 so to me it seems the line is not the issue, it's traffic.

The SNR margin seems to fluctuate between 5.9 and 6.3. 

I use a Netgear Nitehawk router, the VF router just acts as a modem. I can test on 2.4/5GHz and ethernet - all give very similarly poor speeds. 

View more options

Renzo:  The speed will genuinely be very variable for the first 10 days while the modem and OpenReach Cabinet negotiate the best rate that that they can!

NB:  It's very hard to get the VF modem/router to act as a reliable modem (even as a modem router it's still pants).  I would check what speeds you get (speed tests not sync rate) directly on the VF router.  If the speeds you get directly through the VF router are better/good enough, then consider getting a DSL modem to go with your router!

View more options

I know that the speed is variable initially but it has never improved, in fact it has worsened and I'm now a month in. 

I have also tried speed testing via the VF router to cut my own router out of the loop in case that was the issue. I actually get slower speeds that way!

View more options

Have went ahead and started the transfer back to BT of my line. This morning after testing again I’ve been getting less than 30Mbps which is a bit of a joke. Not quite sure how this type of reduction or throttling is even allowed on a service as slow as FTTC. It’s hardly a gigabit service or anything they’re struggling to provide properly!

View more options

Nik if you think of the VF modem router as a gateway there are several possible ways to set this up with a seperate router.  Unfortunatly for myself, none of those possible set-ups work for me without issue - I either get problems with the provision of network services or stability issues with the VF device.  For me the only solution is to use a VDSL modem.

*This may in part at least be an issue with my router, a rev 1.0 2013 Asus RT-AC68U, which even if you set the gateway to elsewhere on the network, still sends some (not all) requests through it's WAN port!  Combine my router with a Draytek Vigor 130 (had this for about 3 years) and it's all rock solid!

View more options

Thanks,

That may be worth a try. 

View more options