main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Twitch Buffering 1080p/720p

6: Helper

Says i'm syncing at 63.9Mb/s...

Speed tests saying I'm under 15MB/s...

Twitch doesn't stop buffering...

Router just randomly seems to restart...

Live chat seems brain dead...

They might as well tell me to turn my router off and on 50 more times...

What do I do?

View more options
13 REPLIES 13
12: Established

Leave and join a responsible ISP.  VF simply does not care about its customers, and seemingly has no intention of fixing their gash network.

View more options
4: Newbie

The router issues can sometimes be fixed by getting a third party router. Mine went from disconnecting 6 times a day to not disconnecting once in the 4 days since I got it. However if your problem is down to a line fault and not the router that wont help.

As for twitch: it seems there is a bottleneck in the VF network which affects some locations and they're in denial about this. For example I have friends more than 100 miles away who get speeds near enough maxed out on Fast and single threaded speedtest I rarely get more than 10Mbps and it has been known to drop below 4Mbps, someone located nearby also on VF has similar results to me.

While some people have got round this by using a VPN I think swicthing ISPs is the only practical solution for many.

View more options

VF are disgusting.

I'm not even getting 5Mbps on Fast.. Yet on Speedtest I'm getting 16Mbps :/

Here I am paying for 72Mbps or whatever it was..

If somebody could run a test on my line that would be great, if nothing comes back as an error or whatever, I'll just leave, I'll then report VF to trading standards as well as every other site.

View more options

You can run your own test by using the "VF approved speedtest". Connect to speedtest and manually change the server to "Preston BT Lancashire Services". That should give speeds pretty close to the values you'd expect.

If it does it demonstrates that your line is perfectly capable of delivering high speeds and it's nothing to do with your setup or the line itself. That server avoids the VF congested routes which is why it is much faster than other servers for some people.

View more options

I'm getting 55 Mbps with that server, but still... That doesn't fix my problem :/

I'm still unable to watch 1080p Twitch streams. After reading a few (loads lol sad) threads on here, it's on VF end, not mine.

I've tested a free VPN 8 Mbps and never once did the stream start buffering lol. Yet, here I am with 55 Mbps and it's buffering...

So what's up VF?

View more options
Moderator (Retired) Joe
Moderator (Retired)

@RIPTwitch Hi there, that's not the experience we'd want you to have with our broadband. We'd really like to look in to this for you, I've sent you a private message on how to get in touch. One of the team will get back to you as soon as they can. Joe

View more options

Wow Joe, really?

I have this EXACT same issue - why should he get in touch when your colleagues just respond after a lot of jumping through hoops and emails back and forth asking me to do things with replies like this basically telling me I am a liar??

"We appreciate you sending those images to us James, I've looked over these and there's no evidence of packet loss and the ping speed is well within range we'd expect.

You can look to try changing the DNS settings on the router to see if this improves the streaming side of things, we do need to advise that our Technical Team will see no fault and as such wouldn't allow the contract to be terminated with fees.

To change the settings please see below:

-Type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar
- Click internet in top red bar
- DNS and DDNS settings on the left 
- Change this to manual
- DNS address enter 8.8.8.8 top 8.8.4.4 at the bottom
- Click Apply

Please be aware that any parental or content controls will be overridden in this instance and will need to be restored.

Regards,"

Absolute joke

Jimbo

View more options

I started getting the same problems on Wednesday, until then I'd been able to watch Twitch streams 1080p 60 with no problems.

Router is syncing with the DSLAM at 66Mbps

https://www.speedtest.net/

Speed test says I get 15Mbps download and 17Mbps up with any London-based test server in the list

If I change to the Slough SEACOM test server then I get 50Mbps

To me this points to something that can't be fixed by unscrewing your wall socket and plugging the filter in directly.

View more options

I too have these issues, I live in the DE21 postcode -- problems have been around since early December-ish.

Technical Support dont understand the problem and its impossible to communicate with them as they do not comprehend.

If i get asked to change my DNS server or run a speed test one more time i will flip!!!

Obviosuly there is no unexpected packet loss.....This is obviosuly a contention problem with the Twitch services.... something that was just fine for numerous months.

At the moment i have to VPN into my work to watch Twitch or use 4G via my mobile connection -- [I do not believe Vodafone Support understand that if i can VPN into my work and watch 1080p streams its not my local bandwidth that is the issue]. 

This is a serious problem; all other servies are as good as i would expect on a 32/7 megabit connection I have at home.

FIX IT PLEASE!!!! Or pay a consultant who understands how these things work following the numerous forum / chat / emails / calls / letters you are recieving.

View more options
Highlighted

I too have these issues, I live in the DE21 postcode -- problems have been around since early December-ish.

Technical Support dont understand the problem and its impossible to communicate with them as they do not comprehend.

If i get asked to change my DNS server or run a speed test one more time i will flip!!!

Obviosuly there is no unexpected packet loss.....This is obviosuly a contention problem with the Twitch services.... something that was just fine for numerous months.

At the moment i have to VPN into my work to watch Twitch or use 4G via my mobile connection -- [I do not believe Vodafone Support understand that if i can VPN into my work and watch 1080p streams its not my local bandwidth that is the issue].

This is a serious problem; all other servies are as good as i would expect on a 32/7 megabit connection I have at home.

[one funny thing i find is that Vodafone are advertising Twitch for their broadband services via the tag-line EsportsVodafone]

FIX IT PLEASE!!!! Or pay a consultant who understands how these things work following the numerous forum / chat / emails / calls / letters you are recieving.

>>COMPENSATION PLEASE!!<<

View more options

Technical Support dont understand the problem and its impossible to communicate with them as they do not comprehend. [Live Chat is a joke]

Obviosuly there is no unexpected packet loss.....This is obviosuly a contention problem with the Twitch services.... something that was just fine for numerous months.

This is a serious problem; all other servies are as good as i would expect on a 32/7 megabit connection I have at home.

[one funny thing i find is that Vodafone are advertising Twitch for their broadband services via the tag-line EsportsVodafone]

>>COMPENSATION PLEASE!!<<

View more options

@DANWATERS wrote:

Obviosuly there is no unexpected packet loss.....This is obviosuly a contention problem with the Twitch services.... something that was just fine for numerous months.

This is a serious problem; all other servies are as good as i would expect on a 32/7 megabit connection I have at home.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/td-p/2619260

Join us.

View more options
12: Established

Join us in leaving the sinking ship VodaFail.

View more options