main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Internet speed

Unreliable speeds

2: Seeker

Hi all.

Just joined Vodafone after giving TalkTalk the sack.

Could be out of the frying pan into the fire!

Wifi on mylaptop is awful, around 6-15mbps.

I'm getting 75mbps to the router.

My ehternet computer goes from 15mbps to 65mbps!!

I will give it a few days to see if it settles.

Otherwise, how long have I got to leave? Is it 30 days?

BTW, I don't want 15% discount, I just want decent speed.

Thanks

View more options
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

Hey @Lewie, thanks for getting in touch. It sounds like you're only having speed issues over Wi-Fi is that correct? On a wired connection it seems to be working fine. Have you tried splitting your SSID or changing your broadband channel?

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.

Give that a try and let us know how you get on. If you're still having trouble, our Broadband Live Chat team will be happy to go through some further troubleshooting steps with you too. 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi TJ.

Didn't get a notification of your reply?

Anyway, I did the changes via online chat.

The situation I have now is iphone 6s is 55mbps over wifi, great.

HP laptop, in the same position is 25mbps and very laggy.

When I was with TalkTalk, the same laptop in the same position was showing 38mbps with smooth browsing.
This is rather confusing.

I am going to take my laptop to my nephews who lives up the road.

He has 70mbps broadband with BT.

His laptop shows 56-65mbps over wifi.

If I still get 0nly 25-30mbps at his house then it's my laptop, though that doesn't explain the smooth browsing with TalkTalk.

If I get the same speed as my nephew then I must assume my laptop and the Vodafone router don't like each other.

View more options
Highlighted

I have been to my nephews.

As suspected, I get close to 50mbps on my laptop.

I came back home and got 27mbps.

He has the same deal as me ('superfast broadband') but with BT.

He is on the same exchange as me but is 300-400m further away.

He is getting 70mbps to his router as am I.

There is obviously an issue with Vodafones router.

For some reason I am nearly 20mbps light!

Now what?

View more options
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for getting back in touch @Lewie. It sounds like there's no issue and you're getting good speeds to your router, also the fact that your phone is running quickly; shows there's no problem with your Wi-Fi either. Have you tried connecting to both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with your laptop, to see if either are faster? Did you contact our Broadband Live Chat team, so they could run some diagnostics and go through some troubleshooting too?  

View more options
Highlighted

Hi TJ.

Yes, dignostics have been run but they do not test wifi.

That can only be done in house.

You say wifi is fine because my phone works fine but that doesn't explain why my laptop is 20mbps faster using BT?

Somewhere along the line i seems the Vodafone router has a compatibility issue with my laptop hardware.

My laptop doesn't support 5ghz.

I am the same distance from the router using my phone and laptop on 2.4ghz yet the laptop is slow and laggy.

I will ask my nephew to bring his laptop here.

If his is as fast as my phone then there is an issue with connectivity betwwen the router and my laptop.

I have a Vodafone router from being a customer previously and the laptop browsed smoothly.

Can I set it up and try it to see if speed improves?

If so, what do I need to do?

It is a HHG2500

Cheers

View more options
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

You can give that a try yes @Lewie - it might be worth testing. If you get back in touch with our Broadband Live Chat team, they'll be able to provide you with your username and password; to get that router configured instead. 

View more options
Highlighted

I already jave those. I need to know where to put them?

View more options
Highlighted

I've been into both routers but I don't see where to put DSL username and password.

If they were so easily visible why would have I had to ask Vodafone for them?

I'm confused!!

View more options
Highlighted

OK.

So this forum is pretty much useless.

It takes too long to get answers.

Can someone just answer one question?

Do I have 30 days from activation to cancel??

View more options
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

The terms & conditions changed some time back to just 14 days.  However, if you've had constant issues and can prove it then it's going to be hard for Vodafone not to allow you to leave using the complaints procedure and the Alternative Dispute ResolutionI procedure.

One for you @TJ if you read this:  The links to the Code of Practice have been a little obscured.

*In the meantime, and there is only a small chance this will work, if you are not using the Bluetooth on your laptop try turning it off!  Even some top line HP laptops come with a poor (polite) WiFi/Bluetooth combo card.  The issue is that even if you are not passing data over it, if it detects something it can talk to your 2.4GHz speeds just halve!  It's was one of the reasons that I've some EDIMAX AC1200 MU-MIMO Wave2 nano-USB WiFi dongles (EW-7822ULC didn't pay half what they currently go for on Amazon though) in the laptops here.  It does also help that I really couldn't get along with the VF router and so use my own, and now have a MU-MIMO Wave2 router too.

View more options
Highlighted
16: Advanced member

You also might want to have a look at these: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/broadband-and-home-phone/vodafone-home-broa...

Again, they're a little hard to get to directly.  There should also be additional links in your joining letter!

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply.

My laptop doesn't have bluetooth so no issue there.

Even if it did that wouldn't explain why it performs so well using my nephews BT router.

As I stated, when I was using the old Vodafone router I was on standard fibre getting around 40mbps to the router and my laptop browsed smoothly at around 36mbps.

Now I have 75mbps to the new router and get slower, laggier speeds so it is clearly an issue between the laptop and the new router.

I still have the old router and have my DSL settings but don't see a way to change them in either router?

View more options