Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrade from Superfast 1 to Superfast 2

JustJamtastic
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I initially started out on Superfast 1 getting speeds between 34-37 download and 8-9 upload.  Having checked online I noticed that Superfast 2 was available and suggested speeds of 65+ download with a minimum of 58 download.  The reality is, I’ve changed to Superfast 2 and my speeds have changed marginally to 38-39 download and 18 upload.

Nothing has changed in my home since switching.  Am I missing something here?

Cheers.

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you havent already, then reboot the router - only do this the once (not over and over as this can affect your sync speeds).

When you switched you should have been sent a letter that detailed your minimum and expected SYNC speeds, if you are below the minimum (which I'll bet you are) you can contact tech support and have them look into this for you.

Finally, it all comes down to that difference between sync and download speeds.  The VF router is pretty crappy and many devices don't have brilliant WiFi either, so when measuring download speeds it's necessary to use an ethernet cable.  If you find that it's just your WiFi that's below par, then it may be a case of using a router of your own and even possibly upgrading your WiFi devices.

Let us all know how you get on, and next time around we can probably be more specific!

I have the same experience. I am using my own Nighthawk Router and testing with PC to ethernet and the difference is marginal.  The problem is Tech Support are not available and sales are not technical.  I can read the same advice on line they read.  I have been told it can take 10 days to Optimise but they do not routinely log data specs channels or routing so how? I have tried the VF router it is not good.  As I have 14 days "cooling off" I will monitor  daily until the 10 days is up and if no improvement go back to Superfast 1 and put the money to a better router or change my ISP.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@cviclark

You do realise that superfast2 is technically no different to superfast1?

If you were at the maximum for Superfast1 then you will only get an increase up to the best your line can achieve. 

If you use the BT checker you can see what your line is capable of. If you are way below that then you may need to make some changes to your setup. BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

As usual Vodafone are talking tosh. There would be no10 day training period when upgrading as that is an Openreach "thing" and as far as Openreach are concerned nothing has changed.

I was sold the upgrade as the answer for more bandwidth to support more devices.  I went for the cheaper Superfast 1 at outset as I suspected 30 Mps would be the best I would get for mixed Fibre /copper connection.  I spent a frustrating long time with VF help trying to find out what technical differences there was between Superfast 1 and 2.  Nobody knew the difference between  speed and bandwidth so just gave up getting sensible answers. Thankfully  I am still in my cooling off period so if its no better can get my money back.  Pity VF do not train their staff in the technical details of what they sell.

Using your checker (thanks for that) my vdsl class A high clean at the cabinate is 48M download impacted 47.3. 

Low clean 35M imacted 30M

On Superfast 1 my best was about 32M but average of 29M. This has not changed significantly going to Superfast 2 on cable to pc it is 32Mbps.  

I expected to upgrade to about 40  to class  A impacted.

VF can not tell me what the best I can technically expect

Jayach

Going by those BT figures you could hope to get at least a sync of 45, but of course there is no way of knowing what degradations such as joints/connections etc there may be on the copper part of the run.

Your router should show what your current sync speeds are, but download speed will be up to 10% lower due to over heads, so 40Mbs could be expected. (always test wired so as to rule out WiFi problems)

Have you tried connected into the test socket as your internal extension wiring (if you have any) could be causing problems?

Make a note of your current sync speeds and SNR and see if they change when in the test socket.

Their is little point in me testing at the test point as no mains available or place to site the Router where it enters the house.  I have upgraded to a high quality cat5e cable from input direct to the router in the middle of the house when VDSL became available. I was trained as a ground wireless tech by the RAF on steam radio in the 60s employed installing all sorts of stuff until the 80s. I was a service engineer on computer peripherals in the 80s and 90s installing networks from the time of dial-up, 10 base T and acoustic couplers.  Netgear has always been my preferred modem supplier for the software diagnostics and the configuration ability but have used all premium brands over the years.  None are nice to look at although the old Netgear book format was the most discreet.  Openreach reconnected to the road to the very old telephone line from the inside to the outside of the house a couple of years ago  The line from the road was only 4 inches under the drive.  They left me a BT NTE5 master line box to replace the old internal telephone in line out of kindness and a pint.   That 3ft of line will be the limiter but is too difficult to replace.

I suspect it was as good as it going to get on Superfast 1  The s/n of the line was good according to Openreach  diagnostics at the NTE5 but I could not get a figure.

My only complaint is the upgrade appears to have made little or no difference and I should have been able to find this out with a simple email or phone call before I upgraded. 

Wi fi is bedeviled by cross channel interference as few optimize the channels.  I get the same speeds 5G on an EX 7500 Extender to a Tab as ethernet to a PC.  The TV and Arlo are on Powerlines.  The security cameras only 2,4g are limited by site restrictions.   There is always a trade off between theory and practical in computing. Back in  70s Germany military bases used Microwave link technology that could knock this lot into a cocked hat.

Thanks for your help. 

Their is little point in me testing at the test point as no mains available or place to site the Router where it enters the house.  I have upgraded to a high quality cat5e cable from input direct to the router in the middle of the house when VDSL became available. I was trained as a  wireless tech by the RAF on steam radio in the 60s employed installing all sorts of stuff until the 80s. I was a service engineer on computer peripherals in the 80s and 90s installing networks from the time of dial-up, 10 base T and acoustic couplers.  Netgear has always been my preferred modem supplier for the software diagnostics and the configuration ability but have used all premium brands over the years.  None are nice to look at although the old Netgear book format was the most discreet.  Openreach reconnected to the road to the very old telephone line from the inside to the outside of the house a couple of years ago  The line from the road was only 4 inches under the drive.  They left me a BT NTE5 master line box to replace the old internal telephone in line out of kindness and a pint.   That 3ft of line will be the limiter but is too difficult to replace.

I suspect it was as good as it going to get on Superfast 1  The s/n of the line was good according to Openreach  diagnostics at the NTE5 but I could not get a figure.

My only complaint is the upgrade appears to have made little or no difference and I should have been able to find this out with a simple email or phone call before I upgraded. 

Wi fi is bedeviled by cross channel interference as few optimize the channels.  I get the same speeds 5G on an EX 7500 Extender to a Tab as ethernet to a PC.  The TV and Arlo are on Powerlines.  The security cameras only 2,4g are limited by site restrictions.   There is always a trade off between theory and practical in computing. Back in  70s Germany military bases used Microwave link technology that could knock this lot into a cocked hat.

Thanks for your help. 

Jayach

Sounds like going back to Superfast1 is your best bet. Always disappointing when you were thinking you would get more, only to find out you can't. Hopefully FTTP will come to your part of the country soon.

When you go back make sure Vodafone don't start a new 2 year contract in case you need to change supplier when it does arrive, Vodafone seem unable to use Openreach FTTP in many places at the moment.

I was a computer service engineer for over 40 years before I retired, which obviously included some telecom involvement. (Yes we did have computers in 1967, but they were very different to today's)