main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Upload Speed 0.2 mbps - high ping fluctuation

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
3: Seeker

The upload speed is very low and does not increase over 0.4mbps (which is also the value that shows on the Vodafone connect overview page. The download speed is fine (30mbps) but the upload speed is awful and I think it is linked to the high ping fluctuations. This has been going on for the last few weeks, I even tried different router and pinging to the router using Command Prompt but this showed no issue meaning that the problem was not my router. I have also tried various devices, all of which show the same issue.

View more options

Attachments

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SOLVED: Kept contacting Vodafone and eventually found a very helpful agent who suggested trying the test socket, saying that a high percentage of the problems come from the faulty master socket faceplate. I was told to wait for 24 hours for the line to stabilise and within a few hours, the upload speed reached about 7/8mbps which is a huge improvement. I got a call back ( even though I wasn't expecting a call till tomorrow) and I was told even though most of the issue is fixed, my download speed is still below the expected speed and that she will monitor the line for the next 3 days and arrange an engineer to visit if my download speed does not increase. 

View more options
5 REPLIES 5
15: Advanced member

Whoa, hold on a second!  You are getting a slow response when pinging your own VF router, and you've even tried a different 3rd party router?  If that is what you are saying, then try using a different device/computer.  If that other device does not do the same, then it would sound as though you may have malware or a virus on the first device you were using.

Pinging your own router (or any other device on your home network) should normally produce a result of 1ms (or less if the testing device is capable of showing such).

View more options

No that is not the case, I'm sorry for being unclear in my first post. Pinging the router provides normal data and I have tried a spare router and swapped out the filters and cables with no change. After contacting support again I was told that it was ''an impairment in copper joint detected''. I'm not fully sure of what this means and the agent was unable to tell me how long it would take to fix. Any explanation on this would be appreciated. 

View more options
15: Advanced member

''an impairment in copper joint detected'' simply means that at some point between the cabinet and your property the copper wires are damaged.  It could quite simply be a poorly made connection or that the copper has deteriorated due to oxidation, water ingress, sharp kinks in routing, or physical damage to the conduit and the cable inside.

It'll take at least one visit from an Openreach engineer, and could be as simple as switching your connection to a new pair of pre-existing wires, to having to replace the current conduit and cables entirely.  Once identified in most cases it should be a quick fix, and probably won't even require you to be home while the work is done!

Regards my being pedantic, it's always best to check first!

View more options

Thanks for the info, I'm glad that they at least know what the issue is. Do you think that I should contact them again and make sure they've arranged an engineer to visit, as research on this sort of issue showed that often is it not fixed for months?  

Also, I'm still confused as to why a damaged line would not affect both the download speed as well as the upload speed...

View more options

SOLVED: Kept contacting Vodafone and eventually found a very helpful agent who suggested trying the test socket, saying that a high percentage of the problems come from the faulty master socket faceplate. I was told to wait for 24 hours for the line to stabilise and within a few hours, the upload speed reached about 7/8mbps which is a huge improvement. I got a call back ( even though I wasn't expecting a call till tomorrow) and I was told even though most of the issue is fixed, my download speed is still below the expected speed and that she will monitor the line for the next 3 days and arrange an engineer to visit if my download speed does not increase. 

View more options