Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Hub Dying

KernelPanic
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Our broadband speed starts at 78mb and gradually drops over a day to less than 2mb

reboot the router - back to 70+ usually ..

speed on wifi and ethernet are affected equally.

Vodafone support in whatever obscure country it  resides, employs people who can only read from a pre-set process on a screen. (like David Walliums in little britain). After going through the motions of master socket checking and filters and rebooting and several things it would be impossible to even relate the fault to, it gets passed to a supervisor, who passes it to second line who doesnt call you so you call them and do this all again.

I managed to stop myself running at the wall and head butting it as hard as I could, but it was close!

Even though I know this is the official vodafone forum, I also know that nobody from vodafone will ever even see this post.  How do I explain that my router is genuinely faulty, and I need a new one,  I'd even pay for it rather than go through another support call process...

11 REPLIES 11

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Raise a complaint. How to complain | Vodafone if they get enough complaints about the poor support they may do something.

You could purchase your own router, but you would still need to contact Vodafone to get your DSL username and password.

gipjon

When you say the speed dropped to 2mb is that the sync speed or a broadband speed test 

Hi Gipjon

the speed 'drops'  as in every day now ..

and the only way I know how to measure is with speedtest.. 

the symptoms are : everything slows down, pages take  ages to load, video quality  defaults to 1998, my son wails about things not downloading, lag on games, and the pity of it all is that when we first changed to vodafone I was really impressed ! everything was top notch. 

alls I want to do is change the faulty router.. theyre too big to care 

Jayach

Unfortunately I don't think you have the technical expertise to be able to prove the Hub faulty, although you may be right that the Hub is faulty.

Mind you it is really their job to resolve your problem, whatever the cause.

Have you raised a complaint yet?

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@KernelPanic wrote:

Even though I know this is the official vodafone forum, I also know that nobody from vodafone will ever even see this post.  

Every post on this forum is read by Vodafone moderators, but unfortunately this is not a customer services channel.  It more like a customer to customer self help forum. You have to use social media to talk to the mods here, or directly to Vodafone staff  on the phone. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Jayach

@jeffkinn wrote:
Every post on this forum is read by Vodafone moderators, 

For all the good it will do, I might as well get my dog to read it.

gipjon

Hi @kernal 

Many thanks for coming back to me [Removed]

I will be honest ,I don't think the router is at fault . I suspect when you are rebooting the router, it is simply disconnecting all the devices connected to the router that maybe downloading etc and using most of the available speed .

The way to check this would be the next time you notice the speed has dropped down to 2mb etc .Turn off the WiFi on the router and connect a laptop or desktop to the router using the ethernet cable ,so that there is only 1 device connected and then run a speed test . This will also rule out issues with wi-fi which I have seen to be the cause of issue like this.

Another idea is simply turn off all the devices so that there is only one phone connected ( rules out issue with laptop WiFi card or virus) and then run a speed test.

Also try two different speed test websites like

http://fast.com 

https://www.speedtest.net/

The reason for this is because different websites take a different route across the internet .( checking routing issues )

Another thing you can do is check with Vodafone what's is the status of the cable link you are connected to when you notice the big speed drop [Removed]

Are you running any WiFi adaptor or extended .

Word of warning don't keep rebooting the router .you will trigger the DLM (fibre cabinet) to think there is a line fault and slow down your connection.

I would also change your DNS address in the router 

http://192.168.1.1 

Password is underneath the router 

Change the DNS to one of the following ones 

DNS provider Primary DNS server address Secondary DNS server address

Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1
OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

Cynric

Presuming that you are on FTTC, then try these.

Firstly the BT speed test has a second part that does a further check on what speed you experience against the range the line should supply.

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Secondly this URL leads to the test showing details of the cabinet you are connected to and the second line is the interesting one, the numbers are download high/low and upload high/low.

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

thanks for your reply gipjon.

"I will be honest ,I don't think the router is at fault . I suspect when you are rebooting the router, it is simply disconnecting all the devices connected to the router that maybe downloading etc and using most of the available speed"

I can verify that this is not the case. Also, I have run hub diagnostics, disconnected all devices, ran 1 device whilst speed is in fail, then reboot router, speed up to normal. reconnected 3 more devices to test the performance is maintained. Our local exchange is only a short walk away and so my sync speed is always at 69+

Then. Disconnected all but 1 device until the speed fails again, which it did, on schedule, with just 1 device.
Tested both on wifi, and 1 ethernet connection alone. same results each time (which we have plenty of because we cant get vodafone help).  Most posts on Mr google suggest the best way to fix this is simply to leave vodafone. 

but thanks anyway.

@Cynic.
Thanks for the links, the 1st one looks really handy. I also use this fella - nperf.com/en

thanks for your suggestions ..