main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Vodafone throttling? WiFi and Ethernet speeds

14: Advanced member

yeah they seams to be a big issues with routing and slow internet at night time i cant even get standed netflix most nights . but i did include this thead into the complain letter thats why i added the routing issues and vodaphone throttling ,and issue with streaming tv into it 

View more options
2: Seeker

appear to be in the same boat of using a service provider who is failing.  off peak can get speedtest download at 60+mb, of an evening can be under 1mb.  paying for fast broadband, but can not use streaming services.  put a complaint in and look to break out of contract.  used BT and Talktalk before, same house, same BT Openreach link, with never this much of a problem.  tech just want testing and then offer some credit.  even bumped me 50gb of data on my phone, but that i use wifi calling because it’s poor signal, got me both ways.  Vodafone fix the problem.

View more options
1: Seeker

Hi all, I have something else to add. I'm a new customer of VF and have noticed that speeds are massively reduced vs Sky, particularly during peak times, yet whenever I've tried a speed test, it's always showed 20-25mbps, plenty quick enough. Suspicious? You bet... anyway, the one day the internet was running so slowly that our Amazon prime had gone mega low-res (like 240p). But then the moment I hit run on the broadband speed test, the resolution increased immediately back to full HD. Almost as if they instantly increase your speed if you run a speed test... is there any way I can log this & prove it so I can cancel the contract & take them to court if needs be?

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

How "new" a customer are you - are you within a 30 day free cancellation period?

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @thorpyuk, I appreciate this must be very frustrating. I'd like to reassure you that running a speed test would have no impact on your line speed. Do you have a lot of devices connected to the router?

If your still experiencing these issues then please get in touch with us by calling in. You can also find help with broadband speed here. 

View more options
1: Seeker

Handful of devices, no neighbours.

No about 3 months now...

The next time it happens I'm going to get it on video... I'll be monitoring my speeds very closely from now on.

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah shame, same time as me

Official complaint route based on unacceptable quality of service (as acknowledged by VF here: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/m-p/2623870#M...) politely requested reduction of early cancellation charge. Stay factual and polite, cross fingers!

View more options
6: Helper

You can always try the BT escape route guys like many others have done the last week or so. Put an end to your misery

Regarding the asking of "speedtests" which seems to be vodafone support favorite delaying tactic.

I have been having  poor speeds (single speed downloads especially) via Gigafast even though the sync speeds are very high using vodafone favored choice "BT Lancashire". around 700mbps / 740mpbs (multi thread). Single speed test's were much lower.

I ran tests with just one device connected direct to the vodafone hub at different times of the day. A PC via gigabit Ethernet first. 

I then followed to do the same speedtests (via the same pc) with the following devices wired direct to the hub, wifi or through an 8 port Netgear gigabit hub.

2 phones (wifi)

3 tablets (wifi)

ps4 (wired)

nvidia shield (wired)

2 pc's (wired)

2 alexa dot (wifi)

harmony hub (wifi) 

3 TP-link Smart Plugs(wifi)

Sky Box (Wired)

Nest (Wifi)

Synology NAS (Wired)

The sync speed results were practically identical with BT (multi/single). I managed to get 840mpbs / 937mbps (multi thread) using the York test server

Single speed downloads were still between 40kps to 5mpbs though

View more options

Using Opera browser which includes VPN brings the speed of my connection back up. Thus I was wondering which VPN I can install in my Vodafone Fibre router so that I can speed up the internet in the entire flat? Has anyone tried this? 

View more options
13: Advanced Member

Pretty sure that Vodafone’s Crudtastic router doesn’t support anything remotely useful like that!

View more options
4: Newbie

Post your fault code in topic. It seems Exchange Line Card unloading traffic

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/Slow-Throughput-Speed-Repairs-Tracker/td-p/2626023

View more options

You are correct. Traffic unloading by local exchange switch. I bet bottle neck on yours is like I had on 3rd or 4th C&W hop

View more options

@Mozambezi wrote:

You are correct. Traffic unloading by local exchange switch. I bet bottle neck on yours is like I had on 3rd or 4th C&W hop

How did you solve it? By changing operator?

View more options

@Londinium89 wrote:

@Mozambezi wrote:

How did you solve it? By changing operator?

No. From third attempt and 73min over the phone  I got FLT fault reference number. And more or less in aa wee VF tech team resolved it

View more options
3: Seeker

I don’t know what Vodafone have done around here lately - but the speed has gone back up to being great! (Or at least what they promised it would be!)

if it stays like this I would be happy.

View more options
3: Seeker

yes mines been getting better to thank god 

View more options

Mine still much worse than it should be. Anyone can recommend good DNS settings? Seems part of the solution together with vPN

View more options
Highlighted
14: Advanced member

i would wait untill after the 19th when vodafone are doing the last fix on there server nodes to fix the issue of slow speeds , with a bit of look your might be sorted then 

View more options

I use 8.8.8.8 in 1st box and 8.8.4.4 in 2nd vox which I believe is google. Tech support advised that and seems a bit more stable....not as many drop outs or shouts from upstairs - dad this wifi/internet is rubbish..... 

View more options
15: Advanced member

Okay, time for a little myth busting regards DNS

DNS servers only give you the end point IP address of the server(s) you are looking for.  All the routing is still preformed using the routing table on intermidiate servers that your data travels across.  So unless you are getting replies to the fact that the server you are looking for is unreachable, DNS searches only take a really tiny amount of data and time.  I've got to admit that during VF's recent troubles it's possible that their own servers would not have been updating from the master servers quickly enough!

Okay, so that's the speech out of the way, what about the servers themselves?

Well as with most things internet, there are tools out there that you can use to test DNS server response speeds.  My favourite is GRC's DNS Bench (other tools are available).  During VF's troubles, it's true that it was faster to use Google or Cloudflare servers, but now everything is back on track VF's own servers are (as they should be) top of the pile for VF users!

grc dns.gif

*Personally - with the choice of a primary and secondary DNS, I'll always set them to different providers.  It's rare that two providers DNS servers will go down together!

**I also use a router that caches it's DNS lookups, so by default they are super fast most of the time!

View more options