main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

Vodafone throttling? WiFi and Ethernet speeds

Highlighted
4: Newbie

Thanks for the technical update.

So do you think we use voda server now not Google ?

And which router do you use ?

View more options
15: Advanced member

It's literally just a bit of myth busting, even tech guys can get pulled into these things if they don't challenge what they hear over and over (it's human nature)!

Personally I use 1 VF server and 1 Google server - the VF server first, because with the routing working properly it's quicker than the (still damn quick) Google server.

As for the router it's an Asus RT-AC86U meshed with my (2013) Asus RT-AC68U, but to be honest you'll find the same ability on (mid-range and above) routers from most 3rd parties.  Even without cached DNS the average user would find their entire browsing only a couple of seconds per day slower!

*Update:  Most people with a router that caches DNS responses won't even be aware of it!

View more options
4: Newbie

Ok thanks. I'm thinking of tp link archer 1200 (vr400)  if I still get drop outs .but that seems more stable at mo....

My sync speed has lowered in 2 month's and download speed has gone from 36mbps to 28 mbps in same period.... so will wait and see how things progress

View more options
15: Advanced member

In addition to the router(s) here I use a Draytek Vigor 130 modem.  It rather looks like Lantiq based modems work better with "impacted" (dirty) and long run length lines, with broadcom based devices better for the clean and short lines.

I also have a Netgear DM200 and a Huawei HG612 V3B which I can swap in, if I want to check things.

The Vigor 130 reports a fair amount of data about the line (but not so much as the HG612, and no graphs), and it does allow the SNR to be tweaked!

While it's tempting to tweak the SNR, you get nothing for free!  So letting the cabinet negotiate the SNR (5dB) gives me a very steady responsive 45Mbps with a pretty low latency (700m from cabinet).  I can whack the SNR right down below 1dB to get reported connection speeds in excess of 60Mbps, but the latency trebles and the error correction has to work overtime.  Sure the throughput is higher, but it actually becomes unusable for online gaming and VOIP!

View more options
3: Seeker

Seems I was a bit hasty, it's gone absolutely shocking again 

View more options
2: Seeker

Seems that all my issues with Vodafone Fibre disappeared on 20th march and now it is super fast in speed tests with netflix.

View more options
14: Advanced member

hi Londinium89 that's because you would have had the single speed issues and the server node was fixed on the 19th

according to Vodafone, the issue has been fully resolved, Vodafone recommend if you still have an issue with speed then you should start a new thread on the forum 

View more options