main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

WIFI Speed Terrible

2: Seeker

Been with Vodafone for a couple of months now and had nothing but problems. Poor initial synch speed which dipped to 17.9M before an OpenReach engineer visit who simply cleared a line fault. This went up to 37M but keeps dipping below 30M regularly.

The router seems to restart with a will of its own usually when you need it most which is infuriating.

And finally, I stream a lot of IPTV (Amazon, Netflix, Now TV) and the devices use WIFI to connect to the router. I have split the frequencies to 5G and 2.4G and no change, the connection has been deleted and recreated on a number of the devices yet still they buffer and stall, the average throughput is under 2Mbps which is awfull.

Has anyone had the same issue and is there a fix? I know some have purchased their own router but that seems drastic when you should be provided with something that works.

At the moment I am wishing I had never left BT for VF

View more options
7 REPLIES 7

No chance of someone from Vodafone answering this?

I am at my wits end with this, WIFI is useless for streaming media.

View more options
15: Advanced member

There are things that the Tech support guys tell people to do that we can only guess the reasons for.

Splitting the SSIDs:  The most sensible reason for doing this is to FORCE your devices to use the 5GHz WiFi bands which operate at maximum sync rates of (at least, it could be higher) of 866Mbps.  Rather than the rather dismal 75Mbps maximum of the (untweaked but stable) 2.4GHz Wifi bands.  If you have more than just a couple of active connections on the 2.4GHz WiFi it quickly becomes unusable.

If it's convenient then the cheapest solution is probably to connect your media streaming devices to the modem/router via ethernet - I have a single cable from my (non vodafone) router, to a small network switch behind the TV that serves all the streaming devices.  The only other real solution is a better router!

In the mean time, you might want to play with a couple of utilities on your phone just to see if anything else is at play!  The first utility I'd use is called Wifi Analyser, and you can use it to see how congested the Wifi is in your location.  The second is called Wi-Fi SweetSpots, and you can wander around your home checking on the WiFi speed as you go!

View more options

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the splitting of frequencies and SSID and no difference. I am loathed to run a CAT5 cable from my study to my lounge when in reality the supplied kit should work properly.

BT, Sky and Talk Talk have been no issue in the past, maybe I need to just call it quits with VF or get a new router.

View more options
15: Advanced member

Yup this is the problem there are a couple of solutions but they all involve spending money that if the VF equipment worked properly you probably wouldn't need to be spending.

If you were to be spending money, then if you are in a modern house, or the house has been rewired within the last 15 years or so, you might be best off with a power-line link between the router (study) any your lounge.

View more options
Moderator (Retired) Joe
Moderator (Retired)

@numb3r9 Hi there, there are other things that can affect your Wi-Fi connection such as channel interference from other Wi-Fi devices in your area. Did you change your channel from automatic to manual when splitting the SSID? Also when you scan for Wi-Fi in your area, how many devices show up? If there's a few, you may benefit from downloading a Wi-Fi analytics app and using it to find out what channel(frequency) your neighbours are using. Please let us know how you get on. Joe

View more options

So some more investigations shows that this is not actually the WIFI. I have tried a powerline extender and that had the same < 2Mbps throughout when using IPTV and so I resorted to testing on a wired connection to see what would happen.

Well, it is the same on wired as on wireless, so that can only mean that there is some form of throttling on certain ports. Speedtest shows 27Mbps download yet same computer streaming is < 2Mbps.

And no, the provider is not that slow, I have checked elsewhere and the streaming is faultless even on HD.

So the question is what is being throttled and why when IPTV streaming is now normal?

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @numb3r9, we'd very much like to look into this for you. 

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options