main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Internet speed

WiFi Speed Slow, LAN speed normal

1: Seeker

Hi,

I’m supposed to be getting 35mbps broadband speed. I am getting this when I connect devices via LAN... but when I connect devices via WiFi, my speed is really slow, like 5mbps.

Vodafone suggested changing some settings on the router but that made no difference... So they are sending me a new router and say this will resolve the problem, but I’m not entirely convinced it will work.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and know how to fix it?

View more options
4 REPLIES
13: Advanced Member

I would assume that the problem is with your 2.4GHz WiFi?  If so, then if they just send you another of the same router, it'll be exactly the same.  For some reason (heat?/stability?) the 2.4GHz WiFi on the VF router is crippled.  The 5GHz WiFi seems to work much better, but to be honest the problem is just that the VF router is just plain pants!

View more options

Hey @jdh1991, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Wi-Fi speeds. When you contacted Customer Services, did they advise you split your SSID? You can do this using the following instructions: 

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.

Wi-Fi speeds can also be dependant on where in the room your router is placed - I know it might sound very simple but things such as mirrors and electrical devices can disrupt the signal. I'd advise not having the router enclosed in any kind of cabinet, not behind a television and not anywhere where it might get hot (near a radiator or window). 

Please let me know if these make any difference and get back in touch if not 👍

View more options
1: Seeker

None of those changes have worked, I’m getting like 1 mbps speed via wifi

View more options

That's very strange @jdh1991; so I'm able to take a closer look into this for you, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

View more options