Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi speeds faster than ethernet and constant disconnects problem

Heavenswake
4: Newbie

Good day all,

first off i am not a tech wiz kid so i will not say i know anyting.

I recently got Gigafiber installed, around 6th of May and have been having problems on and off with disconnects to which vodafone has sent me a new router hoping that, that would fix the problem or prove that there is something wrong with the ONT. i need to speak to vodafone regarding that.

now im really happy with the service i have gotten so far from vodafone as a whole but more recently ive been having more problems with my connection both in constant disconnects (5-10 disconnects a day requiring the mobile dongle for internet) and also random speed slowdowns. not most of the time my download is pretty much max at 930-940mbps, but when it comes to upload speed im getting avg 70-140mbps on my ethernet connection yet 290-330mbps on my mobile phone which sounds weird to me.

i used to get 930mbps upload around the 11th of june and the upload speed has been constantly going downwards, now i know their is no guarantee on upload speeds i just want someone to hopefully try and explain why this might be happening. why is my mobile phone e.g(Samsung A71 which has a top wifi speed of 488mbps) getting a fast upload speed? around 380mbps but with my ethernet which is 1gb connecting on my motherboard only uploading at around 130-140mbps, these speeds are reported 5mins apart doing the same thing, www.speedterst.net and also uploading vids to servers which say they can handle lots of ppl uploading at the same time. ive also recently upgraded my motherboard which has wifi 6 built in, and guess what, upload is still around 120-130mbps using the same speedtest servers, and vid upload servers.

any1 point me in the right direction?, any1 know? i even had a friend lend me a wifi router Asus TUF Gaming AX-5400 which didnt improve my problem or slower upload from my computer than my mobile phone?

Tnks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

*** Another Update ***

this may or may not help any1 else as every situation is different for all ppl. you dont need to be a tech nerd or anything but from what ive found with my situation is that MSI, Asus and other motherboard manufacturers when it comes to so called Gaming Motherboards seem to like to include QOS in some of there software, i say this because of my problem, MSI Dragon Center for my MSI 6700xt automaticaly installs LanManager(which includes cfosspeed) which in turn tries to min/max your ethernet connection of your computer to help with low pings for gaming and such, in the process it tries to spread/share your download/upload speeds with all the other devices you use at home. so that none of my devices connected will have buffering or gaming issues. this sounds great but as i only really use one PC for d/l and u/l im greedy and want all the bandwidth for myself:)

The other program i have found that limited my download/upload speed was Asus armorcrate software, Asus did a better job and actualy lets you choose what you want to install unlike MSI dragon Center. what software that asus provide is called GameFirst V and Overwolf, ive never used overwolf before ever so that may not be it, but it is def GameFirst V, again this is a program that is supposed to help with gettin Lower Pings for gaming, and also supposed to improve over all speeds for your ethernet connection.

Since i have chosen to do a reformat and fresh install of windows 10 i have not installed any of these programs above and i am gettin my full 930mbps download and 945mbps upload through my ethernet cable. when it comes to mobile devices i suggest ppl do proper research on their devices as on my Samsung A71 which says its  802.11 a/b/g/n/ac but no matter what router i use, i only get a MAX d/l of 280-290mbps and 320mbps upload speed. so ppl with laptops and other devices using wifi should check the specs.

I bought a new motherboard Asus Strix X570-E gaming which comes with Wifi 6 and im gettin same dl /ul as my ethernet

Hope this helps others

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

Heavenswake
4: Newbie

**** UPDATE ****

phoned vodafone and spoke to a very helpful wifi expert.

i told him my problem with wifi upload speed being fast than my ethernet/wired connection and he advised me

to reboot into safe mode and try the speed test again... and guess what...

then i rebooted into normal windows and got this result

some setting or program on my computer is some how limiting my upload speed!!

wifi expert advised doing a clean reinstall of windows as tryin to track down the culprit would be a almost impossible task :Sad_face:

last time i got 900+ mbps upload speed was on the 17th of june so some program, addon, website has been installed or some setting has been changed that seems to be limiting my upload speed on my computer :Sad_face:

hope this helps others with low upload speeds for no apparent reason. try rebooting to safe mode with networking, and then try speedtest.

Hi @Heavenswake 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having some issues with your connection and I understand how frustrating this can be. 

I'm pleased that the WiFi Xperts were able to get things back up and running for you - thanks for updating the thread and sharing it with us 🙂 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Heavenswake wrote:

some setting or program on my computer is some how limiting my upload speed!!

wifi expert advised doing a clean reinstall of windows as tryin to track down the culprit would be a almost impossible task :Sad_face:

last time i got 900+ mbps upload speed was on the 17th of june so some program, addon, website has been installed or some setting has been changed that seems to be limiting my upload speed on my computer :Sad_face:

I would definitely start with a Malwarebytes scan, just in case.

Download Malware Removal | Free Antivirus Scan & Virus Protection Tool (malwarebytes.com)

**** UPDATE ****

well after doing a reformat and clean install i found the culprit for me.

i have a MSI 6700x in my computer so went to install MSI Dragon centre which in turn installs a program/addon called Lan Manager which caused my upload speed to reduce to 150mbps. lan manager installs whats called cfosspeed"not sure which one is over-ridding my internet upload speed, its like malware cause even after uninstalling them both i still get slow upload speed, so off to reinstall windows yet again without MSI software :Sad_face:

hope this helps others

Ripshod

I tend to install nvidia's drivers, have done for years.

First time I ve seen this with a vendors drivers though. Good find. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar problem, but when I was on Virgin Media's 1.1Gb service.  I couldn't get above 450Mb on ethernet or wifi. The culprit was my router settings. (NB I was in Virgin's Hub 4 in modem-only mode.)  I had QoS switched on. QoS is designed to ensure that all devices in one's house get a fair share of limited broadband. On 1.1Gb I didn't need QoS , but it pegged back maximum speed to keep bandwidth spare anyway.  Switching off QoS returned my max down speed to 950Mb. 

*** Another Update ***

this may or may not help any1 else as every situation is different for all ppl. you dont need to be a tech nerd or anything but from what ive found with my situation is that MSI, Asus and other motherboard manufacturers when it comes to so called Gaming Motherboards seem to like to include QOS in some of there software, i say this because of my problem, MSI Dragon Center for my MSI 6700xt automaticaly installs LanManager(which includes cfosspeed) which in turn tries to min/max your ethernet connection of your computer to help with low pings for gaming and such, in the process it tries to spread/share your download/upload speeds with all the other devices you use at home. so that none of my devices connected will have buffering or gaming issues. this sounds great but as i only really use one PC for d/l and u/l im greedy and want all the bandwidth for myself:)

The other program i have found that limited my download/upload speed was Asus armorcrate software, Asus did a better job and actualy lets you choose what you want to install unlike MSI dragon Center. what software that asus provide is called GameFirst V and Overwolf, ive never used overwolf before ever so that may not be it, but it is def GameFirst V, again this is a program that is supposed to help with gettin Lower Pings for gaming, and also supposed to improve over all speeds for your ethernet connection.

Since i have chosen to do a reformat and fresh install of windows 10 i have not installed any of these programs above and i am gettin my full 930mbps download and 945mbps upload through my ethernet cable. when it comes to mobile devices i suggest ppl do proper research on their devices as on my Samsung A71 which says its  802.11 a/b/g/n/ac but no matter what router i use, i only get a MAX d/l of 280-290mbps and 320mbps upload speed. so ppl with laptops and other devices using wifi should check the specs.

I bought a new motherboard Asus Strix X570-E gaming which comes with Wifi 6 and im gettin same dl /ul as my ethernet

Hope this helps others

Jayach

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have to say I don't see how ANY software could improve pings.

And as for Wi-Fi 6, the Vodafone router doesn't have it so it won't matter if your devices do. (But it may be useful in the future)

Ah the thing about the router, that makes more sense to me now, my VF router shows this is status & support page

Main Wi-Fi 5 GHz

Status
On
Name
VF-5G
MAC Address
**:**:**:**:**
Security
WPA2-PSK
Channel
Bandwidth
866 Mbps
Max BW
2 Gbps
Minimum Sync Speed
866 Mbps

i see now that the 866mbps is the total BW my 2 wifi devices are using together out of a total support of BW of 2gb, PC-Wifi + 1 mobile is only using 866Mbps hmm intresting, learn something new every day