Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi

Bigrob02
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My wifi signal at home is constantly dropping out and I can regulatory get less than 5 mbps one moment and a few minutes later be up around the high 50’s and then back down to around 20/30 mbps. Vodaphone say it must be an issue in my home but the problem is recent ie last couple of weeks and nothing in my address that uses the wifi has changed. Vodaphone say I have too many items linked and using my wifi (16 to 18) but I have asked friends and colleagues who all have far more devices linked to theirs.

I can’t really get a positive answer from Vodaphone and have tried resetting and switching off the router etc etc.

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

First things first - check the WiFi to your device sync speed.  So if you've a Windows computer you'll find this from Control Panel (type this one in)>Network & Sharing Centre and then click on your connection.  On the dialogue that comes up you'll see the connection speed.  If that speed remains constant it's not your WiFi that is dropping out, but more likely your connection somewhere between your router and the Vodafone data centre!  Should that be the case Vodafone ought to be able to diagnose the issue - whether they can fix it or not is another matter.

As for the number of devices linked this seems to be the latest piece of bad info VF like giving out after having been rumbled that splitting the SSIDs won't raise your defunct cat from the dead and changing DNS won't cure Covid (though changing DNS servers is still often a good idea).  Provided not all the devices you have are using large amounts of data, then the average router can easily handle 30+ connections.  That said, all it takes is one person with their social media settings set to download everything they touch or immediately play every video, and for that person to be scrolling through their content at high speed, and a single device can bring your home network to its knees!

Good luck, see if any of that helps and let us all know either way!

Hi, thanks for your reply. We did as you suggested and found our speed fluctuated between 448mbps to 720mbps. Would this be normal for a wifi system in the home or do you think it’s still more likely to be a Vodaphone issue?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

That's a really useful post from @KeithAlger I hadn't realised you could monitor the wifi in real time with Windows.

@Bigrob02 If you're doing the check on a laptop, try moving closer to the router. If the speed becomes constant then it's a wifi problem. I tried walking about the house with my laptop and it was surprising how much it varied.

Edit: I wasn't suggesting the original poor download speeds was due to wifi, just the connection to the router. 

I’m really not technically minded but my Son has been wandering around the house and the signal seems constant when the lap top is next to the router but fluctuates as you move away.

is this a router problem or a WiFi or Vodaphone problem?

Jayach

It's just how wifi works, the further you are from the router or have walls etc in-between the signal gets weaker. But even at 448mbps it's still hugely more than a FTTC router can supply.

You started the thread by saying "My wifi signal at home is constantly dropping out" but if that were so you would lose the internet completely to that device.

Basically I doubt wifi is causing your problem, but the only way to eliminate it as a possibility would to be to run wired for awhile.

2B810B5C-43CF-4546-BE22-BB903A92099B.png

 this is a snapshot of the issue.

it’s been ok so far today but as you can see there are significant drop offs when for months it’s been very good and all of a sudden it’s terrible with no new tech. Ring added to the system.