Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wired Connection Getting Full Speed But Wifi Net Speed is considerably Slower

rankywid
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Fast.com states about 240mbps down and steam gets around 210-220mbps download, Utilizing Vodafone Gigafast with their default Router (THG3000G) in a 1 story house, Ethernet is certainly not a decision, my folks will not let me run ethernet links through the house so I need to attempt to locate a choice to get atleast 300-350mb/s I've taken a gander at powerline connectors yet they appear to be just useful for much more slow speeds so won't coordinate my case, I'm willing to spend about £100-150 on gear that may improve my circumstance. The 5ghz band is 20/40/80mhz In my parlor utilizing Gbwhatsapp  Wifi on my Phone I can accomplish the about 500/500 speeds so this is by all accounts a range issue, Im likely seeing something like a work wifi arrange however not certain which models would suit me best Much obliged for any guidance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

First up, don't rule out powerline adapters, there are units out there capable of real-world 700Mbps+ transmission, it's just they are not the cheap versions!

Have you taken a look at the sync rate between your device and the router (not the line sync rate) in the location where you have the speed issue?  It's not uncommon that even top-spec PCs come with poor WiFi compared to even a decent mobile phone.  So on a Windows PC press "Win + R" and enter control.exe /name Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingCenter then click on the active connection and have a look at its sync speed.  If that's too low it could be because of the WiFi in the PC, or because of distance and obstacles (solid walls are a horror) between the router and your PC.  A better network card/device on the PC may help, but the faster you want the connection to be, the more you are likely to miss this.

*If you were close to the router I'd be suggesting a tiny USB key network replacement, we have several here.  Close to the router these sync at 866Mbps and can achieve 300ish Mbps real-world transfers - but more so than other solutions the really tiny adapters lose speed very fast over distance!

It's as much about the Wifi in your devices as it is about the WiFi in the router!

See how you get on with that for now....

View solution in original position

1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

First up, don't rule out powerline adapters, there are units out there capable of real-world 700Mbps+ transmission, it's just they are not the cheap versions!

Have you taken a look at the sync rate between your device and the router (not the line sync rate) in the location where you have the speed issue?  It's not uncommon that even top-spec PCs come with poor WiFi compared to even a decent mobile phone.  So on a Windows PC press "Win + R" and enter control.exe /name Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingCenter then click on the active connection and have a look at its sync speed.  If that's too low it could be because of the WiFi in the PC, or because of distance and obstacles (solid walls are a horror) between the router and your PC.  A better network card/device on the PC may help, but the faster you want the connection to be, the more you are likely to miss this.

*If you were close to the router I'd be suggesting a tiny USB key network replacement, we have several here.  Close to the router these sync at 866Mbps and can achieve 300ish Mbps real-world transfers - but more so than other solutions the really tiny adapters lose speed very fast over distance!

It's as much about the Wifi in your devices as it is about the WiFi in the router!

See how you get on with that for now....