Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

not getting the promised 900mb with broadband pro

ErsanO
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've seen a couple of posts from other people but I'm still having issues despite reaching out to "wifi xperts". At first i reached out to someone using webchat and was told that an engineer was going to visit in the next 48 hours although that seems to have been cancelled. Today I called the wifi xperts and the first thing they did was rebooting the internet (both the black box in the wall and the router) which did not resolve the issue. And then when they called me back 30 mins later, I was told that I won't be getting that speed without an ethernet cable connection. I connected my pc to the router with the ethernet cable but i am STILL getting around 300-350mpbs despite all that.

Could someone please help me out with this?

18 REPLIES 18

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

I did write a reply and it got removed as 'spam:'. 

In brief: things are messed up. My gateway is Edinburgh and I' m in West Yorkshire. 

Jayach

I was creating a post to explain what a trace was to @ErsanO 

So I did one in windows:

C:\Users\>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.128.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms vodafone.broadband [192.168.1.1]
2 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms 90.246.0.1
3 14 ms 16 ms 13 ms 63.130.104.202
4 13 ms 14 ms 12 ms 90.255.251.117
5 12 ms 12 ms 13 ms 151.101.128.81

Trace complete.

But then I said it's probably easier to do a reverse traceroute, so pop your IP address in here: https://dnschecker.org/online-traceroute.php and the last server on the list is the one.

9.|-- ae34-xcr1.ltw.cw.net (195.2.8.45)                               0.0%     3   73.1  73.4  73.1  74.0   0.5
 10.|-- ae8-xcr1.man.cw.net (195.2.9.98)                                0.0%     3   73.6  73.9  73.6  74.3   0.4
 11.|-- ???                                                            100.0     3    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0

So how is it the first server on the tracert isn't the same as the last one on the reverse tracert?

I'm sure I must be missing something, but I can't figure out what.

And I thought I understood these things. LOL

Ripshod

I get ya @Jayach. I got too tied up with that one too. Then I realised how much more the routing on a standard ping was, given that it gives us the initial gateway and shows why we're having such slow connection. A ping from me goes to Edinburgh, then through an intermediary to London.

The big clue to me about what we're experiencing was when vodafone's own Ookla server had me just 35 miles from Edinburgh. The penny dropped so hard...... 

Yeah these things are way too confusing for me :Smiley_with_tongue_out:

Jayach

Sorry @ErsanO we went off on a bit of a tangent there. Some people are having problems with latency and that was what the tracing was about. Your problem is that your speeds aren't what they should be.

I know you don't want to run wired, but it is best to establish that a wired connection can get the full speed before moving on to Wi-Fi . (If you can't get it wired, you will never get it over Wi-Fi)

I think you need to contact Vodafone as your connection may not be configured correctly.

Ring the (so called) Wi-Fi Xperts again and say you are still not getting the full speed, even over ethernet. .

If that gets nowhere try ringing 08080 034 515 and say you are not getting your contracted minimum. (although they may pass you back)

Getting the proper support from Vodafone is never easy.

CrimsonLiar

Just going back to the traceroute and considering the "high pings" that people are reporting:  Sub 1ms is common when you are wired to a router, but over WiFi I get 3ms-4ms directly to the router and it can be as high as 6ms if I connect to the mesh node.

I'm perfectly happy with that, Google Stadia, and video conferencing still work even with far higher numbers.

*Video conferencing on WiFi6 devices, you don't notice switching WiFi nodes, on a good WiFi5 device, you get a fraction of a second stutter, on WiFi4 it's 7 to 8 seconds to connect with 3-4 seconds of serious glitching!  However none of that compares to Video conferencing out on the road, using a mobile with more than a second of delay - noticeable, but doable!

Called them a few minutes ago and they blamed my laptop and said it was probably limiting the internet speed -_-

Well thanks for helping "wifi expert"

resim_2022-07-01_090105625.png

This is really weird, I tried to speedtest on microsoft edge and i'm getting what I somewhat should be getting. I honestly don't understand what's going on.

Jayach
@ErsanO wrote:

Called them a few minutes ago and they blamed my laptop and said it was probably limiting the internet speed -_-

Well thanks for helping "wifi expert"

@ErsanO wrote:

This is really weird, I tried to speedtest on microsoft edge and i'm getting what I somewhat should be getting. I honestly don't understand what's going on.

Have read of this thread, it sounds similar to what you are finding.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/Wifi-speeds-faster-than-ethernet-and-constant-disconn...