Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline stopped working

User110920
4: Newbie

Last week my electrician changed the BT junction box outside my house and the landline has stopped working since. Although, broadband fibre still works. The electrician has tried to rectify this but he can't seem to fix it. Now I wish I hadn't let him touch it. What should I do?

13 REPLIES 13

WelshPaul
16: Advanced member

@User110920 wrote:

Last week my electrician changed the BT junction box outside my house and the landline has stopped working since. Although, broadband fibre still works. The electrician has tried to rectify this but he can't seem to fix it. Now I wish I hadn't let him touch it. What should I do?

Is this junction box located before the NT5E master socket? If so, nobody is allowed to mess around with any of the wiring past this point and you will be charged for any repair work as a result. (BT Openreach will charge Vodafone and in turn Vodafone will pass on that charge to you!)

You can report a fault with your landline here:

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Broadband-home-phone/Home-phone/1464003322/My-landline-isn-t-working....

I realize that they will charge me for this since I didn't have a problem until the electrician messed it up. Had I known that only BT can touch the box, I wouldn't have let him near it. I'm looking for a solution, not a lecture.

I've booked an engineer to come round, but I have to wait two weeks.

WelshPaul

I wasn't giving you a lecture, I was simply warning you that they will likely bill you for it (BT used to charge a minimum callout fee of round £240) and I provided you with a means to report the fault.

Hopefully they fix the fault and don't charge you for it. 👍

Jayach

I'm assuming you are on Superfast. Tt should be fairly easy to resolve, there are only 2 wires involved.

You say the broadband is still working but is it possibly running slower than usual as broadband can just about run on just one of the wires.  Without knowing exactly what the electrician was trying to do it is hard to make suggestions.

Pictures of the inside of junction box may help and did he touch the broadband socket in the house or just the external junction box?

Jayach

Also, if you post on a local social media site such as Nexdoor you can probably find an ex-BT engineer who will happily fix it for a small fee.

Hi

""I wouldn't have let him near it.""

He gave no indication of not knowing what he was doing then, or that he knew that it is forbidden to touch any BT installation?

You need a better class of electrician.

I didn't hire the electrician. It was a team of builders carrying out various jobs that I found on mybuilder dot com.

WelshPaul

@User110920 wrote:
I didn't hire the electrician. It was a team of builders carrying out various jobs that I found on mybuilder dot com.

You stated in your original post that you did.

"Last week my electrician changed the BT junction box outside my house and the landline has stopped working since."

Does it really matter who exactly messed it up, whether it was a team of builders or an individual electrician?