Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Line fault diagnosis confirmation please

rhino6666
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My landline and broadband stopped working on 28th January. Broadband started working again yesterday but no change to landline. There is a dialing tone detectable when using an old style push button phone but can't dial standard phone numbers out. Get to digit three and message says number unrecognisable. Can't dial in either as either a couple of beeps and then fails or number not recognised message.

I can use the system line connection check number '17070' and it seems my line is now connected to an unrecognised local number. Tried dialing in to that too but it did not work.

Vodafones answer is to re-establish the connection with my number and restart the broadband; new router, etc.

I have tried to say that the fact that the line is now connected to another number indicates a line fault somewhere in a communal telecoms connection. My guess is that water ingress has shorted a few things and caused a crossed line connection. Vodafone are either reluctant or unable to get Openreach involved but in my opinion this is the only way to resolve what I consider to be a line fault and not something Vodafone can put right without Openreach line engineer involvement.

Am I making sense or perhaps there is something I am missing? Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

It does sound like something is going wrong somewhere @rhino6666. Pop us a message through one of our social channels, I'm sure we'll be able to get to the bottom of this and get you reconnected to your original number.

Hi Mark

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am being called by someone from the Vodafone director's office later today.

There was a recent previous issue, finally resolved on 14th January. No real issue with broadband but caller display, answerphone and call list dropping out regularly. There was no detectable line fault so Vodafone finally reset everything and started from scratch with a new connection, temporary new landline number, etc. I was worried that my landline number may be lost as used everywhere but it came back the next day. I don't think BT can reassign numbers to third parties straight away, can they? Seem to remember that the number has to be left unused for a period of months before it can be recirculated. Anyway, the caller display problem remained so Openreach were involved and their test showed that the line was fine. Upon further inspection however they found a junction box with water on it attached to the nearest telegraph pole. A repair immediately cured the problem for 13 days until this latest issue with temporary loss of broadband and unuseable landline, connected to another unknown local number. Vodafone line tests have also shown a line fault, although this has not been consistent. There is a dialing tone on the landline and now working broadband, so it will be another instance of water ingress. Coincidence that an engineer was working on a bunch of BT wiring at a nearby pole a few days before this latest problem?  Vodafone are  planning to reboot everything, new router, etc again on the 12th Feb but my feeling is that this is a waste of all our  time and Vodafone resources. Given the undeniable connection to a third party telephone number, in my opinion and quite honestly, using common sense, this can only be another more serious line fault further up the line that requires Openreach involvement. After talking to the nice chap from Openreach who was here last, they operate reactively rather than pro-actively, so deal with problems rather than ensuring that problems do not happen with proper maintenance and checks. Does not inspire confidence but typical of modern society approach to responsibility and best practice. It is also difficult for me when the best part of two days spent trying to resolve these problems with various personnel at Vodafone who are working from home and possibly abroad and little connectivity. All polite and pleasant but communication sometimes a little difficult and seemingly unable to take my opinion with the fault onboard. Openreach were apparently approached last Thursday but rejected the request to get involved. Talking direct to Openreach is the way forward with this for me and Vodafone but that is not allowed.