Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PHONE LINE WITH GIGAFAST BROADBAND NOT WORKING

coop12345
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I had gigafast fibre broadband fitted a few days ago but the home phone is not working.

it seems to be a common issue but I haven't found a reply yet that helps.

I spent an hour online with customer service but still no joy, the conclusion was she thought it might be my phone that was the problem.

Should the white phone light be ON all the time indicating the service is available ?  OR is the light OFF until

a suitable voip phone is inserted ??

I have tried lots of phones, some new , some old, none do anything I don't know if its the service or all the phones I have tried are not suitable.

I searched for a list of phones that would work but again no luck finding out. I don't want to keep buying phones

if that's not the problem.

anyone have any ideas ? thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

MarkD

Hi @coop12345, we would love to help with this. What colour is the phone light on the router at the moment? 

A stable white light means you should be able to make calls. If the phone light is blinking white, this will indicate that a call is connecting or is in progress. A red stable light means the router cannot connect to the voice service. 

Hi Mark, thanks for the speedy reply.

Currently there is no light at all for the "phone" 

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for confirming @coop12345, are you using the same handset as you were using before you joined Gigafast?

Hi, I have now tried 3 different phones, my old loop disc one, a BT decor 2600 and BT freelance XT3500 and

plugging any of these in changes nothing i.e the white phone light is still out.

Should the light be on, when the service is working, but without a phone plugged in ?

OR does a compatible phone have to be plugged in before the white will come one ?

thanks 

Hi, anyone know the answer to the question about the white "phone" light ?

thanks

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @coop12345 - Sorry for the delay in response, thank you for your patience 😊

I would advise that your phone needs to plugged in to see the white light. Have you spoken with our Gigafast team on 0333 304 0191 they will be able to run some tests on your line and see if there is any faults?

Hi, thanks for the info.

I have been in touch with the gigafast team and they did a few tests, resets etc with no change.

Is there a list somewhere of what phones will work with this system ?

I have tried a bunch of phones already, some new and some old, but nothing works and I don't want to keep buying phones that will not work.

thanks

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Were you supplied with an adapter for the phone by Vodafone or CityFibre? Previous posters have said that a direct cable wouldn't work for them and they had to use an adapter.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/What-Analogue-Phone-and-adapter-for-Gigafast/m-p/2672416#M4...

Edit: In this post one user recommender the adapter that worked for them.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/How-do-I-plug-my-phone-into-router/m-p/2671951/highlight/tr...

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes I did receive the adapter ( short section of cable, a few inches long, with an R45 ? one end and telephone socket the other. Tried at least 3 different phones with both, no change to the white light, i.e still off.

thanks