Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PHONE LINE WITH GIGAFAST BROADBAND NOT WORKING

coop12345
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, I had gigafast fibre broadband fitted a few days ago but the home phone is not working.

it seems to be a common issue but I haven't found a reply yet that helps.

I spent an hour online with customer service but still no joy, the conclusion was she thought it might be my phone that was the problem.

Should the white phone light be ON all the time indicating the service is available ?  OR is the light OFF until

a suitable voip phone is inserted ??

I have tried lots of phones, some new , some old, none do anything I don't know if its the service or all the phones I have tried are not suitable.

I searched for a list of phones that would work but again no luck finding out. I don't want to keep buying phones

if that's not the problem.

anyone have any ideas ? thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

Hi. Did you get this resolved? I am having the same problem. No light on at all. Just spent an hour with help going around in circles as he insists light has to be red or white! I have the adapter but no phone plugged in. Have tried my phone but makes no difference. 

I fixed my issue by resetting the Gigafast router to factory default, I can’t remember if I did it from the router expert menu or held the rear reset button down for 10seconds  (I did it a few months ago!).  Either way you are trying to get it completely back to box fresh state.  That seems to have triggered it to download the right configuration and activating my voip line.  Now I have a white light on the front for phone and my tel line works fine.  Hope that helps.  

thank you so much. This worked! After resetting by pressing reset button for 10s and leaving for 30 minutes, the white light above phone came on - without phone connected. I have since connected my landline phone and it works!! You have saved me so much time and more calls (no doubt being asked what colour light did I see even if I say no light!)

I had the same problem thankfully a factory reset of the router fixed it - thanks for posting this fix as the customer service agents I spoke to didn't suggest this - indeed one suggested I buy a VoIP phone!!! - Hopefully the customer service scripts will be updated to suggest a factory reset.

Thanks you are a lifesaver, maybe get Vodafone get you a job as a web advisor seeing as I have spent nearly three hours speaking to Gopal Mueev Aaartchin and finally Ooasiminem who wanted me to fit the RJ11 connector directly into the socket at the back of the router !!?? Duuh totally different connector

There solution was to go out and buy a voip phone and see if its that even though I had stated A) the phone I had was new B) I tried someone else's phone on the system

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@BigEyd wrote:

There solution was to go out and buy a voip phone and see if its that even though I had stated A) the phone I had was new B) I tried someone else's phone on the system

That wouldn't have worked, no one (as far as I know) has got a VOIP phone working without having to also purchase a VOIP service from someone else.

Hi, sorry to also jump in but I have the same problem.  No light for "phone" on the router and I have tried both Tel 1 and Tel 2 ports - no difference and several reboots.  I have hard reset the ONT as directed by the tech support but that has not fixed it.  I really dont know why its not working or what else to try..