Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Scam call to landline claiming to be BT

Weckybong
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I just received two calls on my landline (fishy enough as I haven't given my number out to many people!)

The first time I picked up and noone on the other end spoke so I put the phone down. It immediately rang again so I picked up and a lady spoke from what sounded like a call centre abroad. She said she was from BT openreach, was she talking to the account holder (I confirmed) and that apparently my router had been giving out error messages the past few days. She asked how many devices are connected to the router, to which I responded I wasn't willing to give any information without security checks. Bit of a pause then she hung up.

The number was 001203527199 and I have now blocked it on my handset, but thought it should be reported with you guys.

Would they be able to see my broadband usage and hack in, or do you think they were warming up to some more questions? Perhaps I should change my WiFi password?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Weckybong 

That one is certainly doing the rounds and the chances out it won't be BT, it will just be a scammer trying to get your personal information.  They would have told you any nonsense and probably asked you to download the virus link to give them access to your computer.

The golden rule is never believe they are who they say they are, BT would never ever call a customer, they would email or send a letter.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS

Hi @Weckybong 

That one is certainly doing the rounds and the chances out it won't be BT, it will just be a scammer trying to get your personal information.  They would have told you any nonsense and probably asked you to download the virus link to give them access to your computer.

The golden rule is never believe they are who they say they are, BT would never ever call a customer, they would email or send a letter.

Thanks! Wouldn't expect BT to be contacting me anyway as I hold the account with Vodafone.