Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3g No Longer Working?

Grahamcherry
Not applicable
Ive been using mobile broadband since last june with no real problems until the begining of this year. Like other members on here I have suffered the constant 3G/3G+ problem (alternating between the two with no data exchange) Normally switching to 2G solved this although its hardly ideal, however now I can no longer actually connect on 3G at all. I receive an error along the lines of "unable to establish a connection to the remote computer so all ports were closed"

Again if I force my modem to use a 2G connection it will connect but I am only getting 1 at the most 2kps and after about 10 minutes I have 0kps transfers. I have checked the sim card in my Blackberry Curve and it works no problem (in fact im getting better speeds on my Blackberry than on the laptop!)

Im using an acer laptop, windows xp service pack 2. Im also within walking distance of a 3G mast (postcode ox28 1ya)

Any ideas anyone?
4 REPLIES 4

Retired-Andrew_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Grahamcherry,

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with the 3G connectivity in your local area but I am sure we can get this looked in to for you.

I have checked the postcode you provided and it is very strong 3G coverage in that specific postal region so nothing has changed with the network itself. Your nearest 3G mast is 1.59 miles South East from your current location, so again, close enough for a continued 3G connection.

First of all, I would try a complete de-installation of the VMC Lite software from your Laptop, and then a full reinstallation of the BB modem which will run the software and install on new port in to your Laptop.

In all honesty, the error message you provided certainly doesn't suggest that it would be anything network related, more a hardware or installation issue.

If you could let us know how you go on as we may need to look at this closer for you as there could be an issue with the actual BB modem and we would need to check out the repairs thread.

If any other forum members have a similar issue, please check out our online coverage map first so you have a good idea at the 2G/3G connection speeds in you local area.

Many thanks

Andy
eForum Team

Grahamcherry
Not applicable
Hi Andy, I did as you suggested and uninstalled all trace of VMC lite on my laptop and then reinstalled the whole setup. The installation went ok, however im still not getting 3g. Instead now it says "network name unavailable" however if I force it to use GPRS it will connect.

Grahamcherry
Not applicable
Just to bring this back to the top, last night I had 3 hours of 3g+ and speeds of 200kps (trust me thats the best ive had in months) But this morning back to square one. Cannot connect via 3g and have to force the modem to use 2g with blinding speeds of 3kps

Unless this gets sorted soon I will be contacting Vodafone about cancelling my contract, ive only got 6 months left on my contract and at this rate have no intention of keeping it going.

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi GrahamCherry,

I've re-checked the serving cell site in your area again, and it's definitely serving 3G properly. This leads me to conclude that there must be a fault with the 3G modem in your device.

I recommend sending it for repair as the next step and seeing if this makes a difference for you :)

Jon

eForum Team