Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G connection issue

wjmagee
2: Seeker

I have a D-Link 4G LTE Router linked to an external Antennae. The Router works great when I use an EE data sim - giving me a strong 4G signal and fast broadband speed. I would like to move to a vodafone monthly contract so I purchased a vodafone pay as you go data sim so I could try it out before comitting to a monthly contract. However I'm only getting 2G/3G with this card. The lights on the Router indicate little or no signal yet I am getting 4G on my phone!

Are there any settings which I can use to get this to work?

Many thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Thanks for your reply. Yes my Router is a D Link 4G LTE (DWR-921). It works great with EE data sim with settings set to AUTO. With Vodafone data sim it seems to get stuck at the connecting stage. I can set it up manually but my problem is I don't know the correct settings. I contacted Vodafone Support and they told me that I had to contact D-Link. I contacted D-Link and they told me to contact Vodafone! If I put the vodafone sim into my phone it works ok. I'm able to access the Internet. Any further help would be greatly appreciated. I noticed somewhere online that EE supports IPv6 whereas Vodafone doesn't. There is a setting on Router to enable IPv6. This is enabled by default. Should I turn this off for Vodafone

Thanks

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @wjmagee, I'd recommend speaking with the manufacturer of your router to help with this further. They will be able to assist with any changes that need to be made within its settings.

@wjmagee In the "Prefer Service Type" setting on the "WAN Service Configuration" page of your router set the value to "Auto Mode". This will let your router connect on 3G as well as 4G. If you have a 4G signal in your area then you will automatically connect at 4G, if the sim is authorize for that service.

When you put the sim in your phone did you get a 4G connection or was it just 3G?

With regard to IPv6 I don't believe Vodafone supports that on their mobile data network so I would disable that setting till you resolve your issues with 4G access. Vodafone use Network Address Translation (NAT) for mobile data connections so even with IPv4 you don't get a direct Internet connection. Google CGNAT for more information.

bodgeup

Any chance your using a Dlink DWR 921?? one of my clients uses one of those with an external antenna, I put an EE sim in it as no other network was close to the speed of EE?

I know on the WWW UI you can set the modem to use 3g or 4g, set it too 4g only