Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G connection issue

wjmagee
2: Seeker

I have a D-Link 4G LTE Router linked to an external Antennae. The Router works great when I use an EE data sim - giving me a strong 4G signal and fast broadband speed. I would like to move to a vodafone monthly contract so I purchased a vodafone pay as you go data sim so I could try it out before comitting to a monthly contract. However I'm only getting 2G/3G with this card. The lights on the Router indicate little or no signal yet I am getting 4G on my phone!

Are there any settings which I can use to get this to work?

Many thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@wjmagee Your D-Link router will need to be compatible with our 800Mhz frequency range in order to pick up a 4G signal. 

If you're unsure how to check this, you'll need to contact the router manufacturer for further assistance. 

SimpleTruth

If your D-Link router model is a "DWR-921 4G LTE Router", purchased in the UK, then it should work with Vodafone's 4G service on the 800MHz band. If they can be configured, check the APN settings in the router menu.

If this is the router model you have then it should work okay and the problem could be with Vodafone's service provision for the sim card. Best idea is to check the sim in another 4G capable device eg a recent model iPad or Android tablet. Make sure you enable 4G under the Mobile Data settings on the iPad and check that the APN settings are correct. Turn off WiFi and make sure the iPad connects at 4G, visible at the top left of the screen. Also check the signal strength and network performance. If the iPad connects at 3G then the problem is with Vodafone. Contact their support people.

Good luck!

Hello   I had a very similar issue. I bought a R216 Mobile Wi Fi with a 30Gb 4G Sim on pay monthly..When I tried it out it would only connect to 2G and 3G. I tried a friends device with his SIM in it and that was ok. So put his Sim in my device and 4G now ok. Problem is therefore with the SIM

After approx 20 min call to Eygpt --yes-- it was discovered that although I had ordered a 4 G Sim, on the system, I was only allocated 3G. They are supposed to be recifying the problem soon.

Cheers

Peter

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@pafos Please keep us updated with how you get on. 

We'll be here to help if you need any further assistance. 

Hi Peter, did you get a solution? I have a TP-Link 4G MiFi modem M7350 and a Vodafone data only SIM (4G 50Gig) but can only pickup 3G despite being in strong 4G area? I too spoke with technical support who advised me that 4g had not been switched on for my card?? I was told no further action required and it would be fully functioning within 24 hours but no change. Don't like paying for a service that I'm not getting😳

I didnt think Vodafone charged for 4g?

the DWR-921 should work although i use EE in mine. Also have an outdoor antenna.

Very fast.

JK

I use the TP Link MR200 and only got 3G until 4 calls later got 4G activated on the SIM card.

Trouble is i kept getting told my Sim CArd was activated on 4G when it wasn't or my APN settings were incorrect when there were right or even my equipment was faulty when it works fine on EE and Three

@crunchieeagle I've replied to your post regarding this, on another thread here :Smiling:

Hi, I had a similar problem with a 4g sim only connecting at 3g. I went onto live chat without much hope of getting a solution but they did something and now I have 4g connection. It seems to be a problem with the "provisioning" of the sim. Maybe I was lucky in that I got someone who knew what they were doing but you could give it a try.